Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dropping a pump session at 10 months

Default Dropping a pump session at 10 months

Hi all, I need some advice/ thoughts on dropping a pump session at work. DD is soon to be 10 months old. I currently pump at work thrice and get between 16-18 oz a day and BF at home. She drinks around 12 oz a day, so I have been steadily adding to the freezer stash (would like to donate at some point). She also loves her solids, has gained weight really well (touch wood).

My schedule is that I leave from home and BF at 8 AM, followed by pumping at work every 3 hours at least (10AM, 1PM, 4PM) and BF again at around 6:30.

The three pumpings are getting hard to manage as it eats into my workday and I am heading into a super busy time soon. Given this, I would like to:

(a) reduce from three to two pump session by slowly increasing the time between pumpings to 3.5 hours and then 4 hours.
    (b) in case milk supply is not enough, substitute with solids during weekdays and BF on weekends.

Any thoughts/ advice/ suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Dropping a pump session at 10 months

Sounds like it's worth trying. You can always add that pump back in if you have to, or use your hard-earned freezer stash. It's nice to donate, but you also have to take care of yourself and get work done, so don't feel bad about using freezer milk if that's the balance that works best for you right now. you don't have much longer, really, till you can pump wean at work at 12 months.

But remember that milk should be primary food til a year, so be careful about getting on a slippery slope with the solids.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I think you can do it but I would not sub BM for solids. What I would do is make sure that your freezer stash moving forward is in small amounts, like 3 oz. If you plan on introducing cows milk at 12 months you have 8-9 weeks to worry about really, although exactly 12 months isn't really a magic number. Anyway if it were me I would pump at noon and 3 and see what you get. If you can get 10 oz then you'd only need to make up 2 oz per day for those 9 weeks. If you can't keep up you can add a session back in but it could be while at home before bed etc, doesn't have to be at work.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you both. I will try your suggestions.