Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Bottles

Default Alternative Bottles

I'm just poking around, and I keep finding some interesting bottles. I think I'll start a thread for those who might have babies who won't take the typical bottles (i.e., easily found and bought just anywhere, like Playtex, Dr. Brown, Nuk, etc.). One of these might be worth trying. Because they are alternatives, they are more expensive. You have my sympathy; our cleft baby required nipples that were $15 each and had to be replaced every 6-8 weeks for about 10 months; I spent $150 on nipples every couple of months. It adds up

http://www.bittylab.com/shop.html is a new one coming and supposedly available January 2012. I would like to try it.

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Feeding.../dp/B006T89X9Q and I started a thread about this one, the Medela Calma. There are a few moms here who have actually used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Mimijumi-Very-...bxgy_ba_text_b is rather interesting looking and has a lot of positive reviews. I am thinking of getting one.

http://www.amazon.com/Comotomo-Natur...bxgy_ba_text_c thinking of getting one of these too.

http://www.amazon.com/Adiri-Natural-...ef=pd_sim_ba_2 Stage 1 is the clear one. Stage 2 is blue.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Br...xp_grid_pt_2_0 What we are currently using. My main complaint is that you can't buy replacement inner nipples, which seem to tear and let too much milk into the main nipple, where my LO can't get it out. I buy replacement nipples at Target but they are not always in stock at my local store, and the other local T does not have them. NOT available at BRU. Be careful to always get the clear ones; the blue ones are step 2. Oops

http://www.amazon.com/Tommee-Tippee-...xp_grid_pt_2_1 I hear mixed reviews on these. Also available at BRU.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Alternative Bottles

We ur the Breast flow ones the were the only ones we could get dim to take. I did notice that the inner nipple seemed to be tearing. I'll have to check my local target hopefully I can find a replacement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

I tried the Mimijumi, Breastflow, Adiri, and Tommee Tippee in addition to several others with DD. She refused all of them. They all have silicone nipples which she hated. Even the Mimijumi is a colored silicone rather than latex. I spent a small fortune on bottles that did little more than collect dust.

Susan, they also make the Mimijumi in a 4 ounce version: http://www.madisonorganics.com/Mimij...by-Bottle.html
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Awesome Because it bugs the heck out of me when a bottle is 8-10 oz
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Awesome Because it bugs the heck out of me when a bottle is 8-10 oz
    Yep, me too. My babies never usually took more than 4 ounces of EBM at a time anyway?

My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Mine too. I've tried to get him to drink more in one sitting, like at night, so maybe he would sleep, but he will just quit eating.

Nice site you posted Lots of nice diapers and other baby items.
    Susan

Nice site you posted Lots of nice diapers and other baby items.
    Oooooh yeah! I didn't surf around there when I posted the link before, but you're right! Lots of mama cloth stuff... bento boxes... neato!

Huh. So nice I ordered two more diapers and that bottle. I'll post a review of it when it gets here.

I wish this kid would just nurse. I spilled the bottle I took to church all over my bag. Hadn't taken a pump. It was horrible knowing I had lots of milk but not able to actually feed my kid (hand expression doesn't work for me).
    Susan

Huh. So nice I ordered two more diapers and that bottle. I'll post a review of it when it gets here.

I wish this kid would just nurse. I spilled the bottle I took to church all over my bag. Hadn't taken a pump. It was horrible knowing I had lots of milk but not able to actually feed my kid (hand expression doesn't work for me).
    Definitely post a review! I'm curious to hear how it goes over!

And major bummer on spilling the milk. I have only spilled a little EBM in my time, and it still made me cry every single time. I personally am still holding out hope that you can get him to nurse at some point.