Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping and Jury Duty

Default Re: Pumping and Jury Duty

I'm in Maryland, and I think the form didn't list breastfeeding specifically, but being primary caregiver to small children was grounds for an exemption. This is from memory, so I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*TimsMom View Post
    I'm in Maryland, and I think the form didn't list breastfeeding specifically, but being primary caregiver to small children was grounds for an exemption. This is from memory, so I may be wrong.
    This section wouldn't ordinarily exempt moms who work full time (for example, my DH is the "primary caretaker" of our son). However, jury duty is not compatible with pumping, hence the specific exemption for breastfeeding moms who are or are not primary caretakers.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I would try calling before going through all the trouble of writing a letter or driving there in person. I was summoned for jury duty (in CA) when DD was still very young. I called the courthouse to inquire about pumping facilities and they immediately excused me from jury duty for two years.

My DH is primary caregiver of our 3 children and he could not get an exemption from jury duty, even though he noted that as an exception. Thankfully he did not have to report, otherwise I would have had to take the day off.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months