Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Storage/supply questions

Default Storage/supply questions

Good morning!

I am heading back to work next week (my son is now 7 weeks) and I have some storage questions. How long can you comfortably keep BM refrigerated before freezing?

My son is also still a very frequent feeder (1.5-2 hours during the day for about 20 minutes). I'm not sure if it is truly all that he is hungry or more for comfort nursing (I'm going to miss sweet snuggling all day). I work 12 hour shifts so will be gone for at least 13 hours/day. How much do you suggest he eats for the day? My mom will be keeping him these first few months (as she did my daughter as well). She was a frequent nurser as well and I feel like my mom may have overfed her as I was always short on supply.

I am very proud of the freezer supply I have built up so far, but it is also sometimes very difficult to get my pump sessions in at work (we are a very busy high risk unit). This is another reason why I'm sure my supply was always short.

One last thing...with eating oatmeal to boost supply, do you eat it just when you need a boost or can you eat it everyday? Didn't know if I would get "immune" to it's boosting abilites.

Thanks ladies!

Default Re: Storage/supply questions

I have been pumping this time for about a year and I try and eat oatmeal 4-5x a week as a general rule. You can keep milk in the fridge for 5-7 day before freezing but I would freeze as soon as you can if you arent going to use it.

As for the feeding question. The general rule is 1-1.5 oz per hour you are gone so maybe 12-18oz during that time frame. In order to avoid waste I would start by putting 2-3oz in bottles for her and reviewing with her the true hunger cues of a BF baby (kellymom has a print out if you need it).
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I am gone 12-13 hours and my girls drink 10-12oz during that time. They are ready to eat the second I get home.

I would definitely use small bottles, probably 2oz to start with since your son is so young. Make sure your mom knows she doesn't have to discard the milk if he doesn't drink it all, she can use it at the next feeding (wish I knew this with my DS).
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Thank you both so much!! Great to know also about not discarding the milk. Do you add milk to the older or just let the babes finish that off and then give a fresh new bottle?

I would finish off the 'used' milk first and then offer a new bottle with fresh milk.

I can't answer your oatmeal question because unfortunately it doesn't seem to help me. I eat it when I go to work (they make all kinds in our cafeteria), which can vary from 3-5 days a week and the only days I pump.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months