Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Left boob is not producing very much...

Default Left boob is not producing very much...

What happened? it used to be super boob and now the right is producing (when i pump) and the left barely produces much at all.

What can I do about this?

Default Re: Left boob is not producing very much

How old is your baby? Are you pumping while at work? Nursing when home?

Anyway, there are a few things that can cause a sudden drop of supply on one side - in my experience, a sudden (as opposed to gradual) drop is often caused by a clogged duct. Do you have any sore or tender spots on that breast. Does it feel full but not much comes out?

A more gradual shift can happen if baby (or you) just tend to prefer the other breast, offering it first for whatever reason. My left breast was the "super boob" for a long time, partly because I think I favored it, being right handed, that side was just easier (I could type or scroll or read a book with my right hand). If that's the case, you just need to go back to offering the underperformer first for a bit, and supply should go up.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

baby is 10 weeks old.
    i nurse her at home, pump at work, and daddy feeds her when im at work.
    i dont think it was a sudden drop in supply and i dont feel any pain.
    it feels full and then i nurse and its floppy again

yea, i think i've been using the right too much. we will use the left more and see what happens.

thanks

It is really common to have one side produce more than another. My lefty is the strong one, it even has a little over active let down. I use them very equally, but righty is still the weaker one.