Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: are my pump horns the wrong size?

Default are my pump horns the wrong size?

Hi ladies
    advice pls.

I'm using the mendela pump in style and find that compared to manually using my hands to express milk, using the pump expresses much less.

I am wondering if it is because the breastshields(size M) are too large for my nipple.
    My nipple hurt after pumping,they feel like they have been sucked out. During pumping, some aerola is sucked into the funnel. I was wondering if this is an indication that the funnel is too large?
    I have measured my nipple size before pumping and it is 17mm. (the nipple does swell during pumping though)
    Shld I get size S shields(21mm) or is the standard M a better fit?

Default Re: are my pump horns the wrong size?

yes. go for the next size. The aerola is supposed to stretch and lengthen during nursing/ pumping. If you are having better outcomes using hand expression, you can collect your milk that way.
    are you pumping b/c you are back to work?
    maybe it is the time of day you have set aside to pump. Is your pump yours or is it a borrowed one? sometimes it is the physical pump that is no longer functioning.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

The soreness after makes me think they are too small.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had this problem too & my shields were too small. The larger medela ones made me sore too but they are worth a try For me, the most comfortable shields i found were the pumpin pals (just google them for info), but i know some people don't like those. I us ethe large size of those & still have some pain but it's not nearly as bad. I would definitely get some different shields though...it took me a long time to figure what was causing my nipple pain & it got pretty bad. My pump is also a PISA...make sure you don't have the suction too high. This will cause more pain & actually get you less milk w/the pump. Just a side note too, if you try the pumpin pals - I use a bit lower suction level w/those than I do w/the medela shields.

Good luck! & don't be afraid to experiment a little to find what is most comfortable for you, esp if you plan to do lots of pumping.
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Shields that are too big can cause soreness too. That was my problem, and going down a size helped a lot. Both Medela and Ameda have images on their websites to help you determine if your shields are too big or too small. It's a little difficult to compare yourself to an idealized drawing, but it can be somewhat useful for troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliasmomma View Post
    I had this problem too & my shields were too small. The larger medela ones made me sore too but they are worth a try For me, the most comfortable shields i found were the pumpin pals (just google them for info), but i know some people don't like those. I us ethe large size of those & still have some pain but it's not nearly as bad. I would definitely get some different shields though...it took me a long time to figure what was causing my nipple pain & it got pretty bad. My pump is also a PISA...make sure you don't have the suction too high. This will cause more pain & actually get you less milk w/the pump. Just a side note too, if you try the pumpin pals - I use a bit lower suction level w/those than I do w/the medela shields.

Good luck! & don't be afraid to experiment a little to find what is most comfortable for you, esp if you plan to do lots of pumping.
    Pumpin Pals work great for me, although I use them with a manual pump. I just couldn't get the double electric to work well for me,

Proud mommy to
    Ava

since 9/3/11
    since 11/14/11
    and working on
    and more frequently!