Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much does mums diet affect baby?

Default How much does mums diet affect baby?

Hi,
    Im a mother of three and all of my babies have struggled in the beginning with colicky symptoms. My second did end up in the hospital for reflux/choking. Anyway, now the third, she us usually fine during the day, and then by evening she is crying and becomes inconsolable in the middle of the night... She kicks and seems to have shooting pains. Not as bad as my other two but still not fun. We cosleep and nurse on damand. I have OALD and struggle to keep that under control and I think I might have a hind milk/foremilk imbalance. I read that too much foremilk can cause gassy/colicky type symptoms... Is this true? And I have been on elimination diet for almost two weeks... But don't feel like it helps and am wondering if my diet matters much at all, not crazy stuff like salsa, but just normal eating, I don't do dairy anyway... But my friend said a LC told her that only five percent of babies are truly having problems that are actually linked to mums diet otherwise it is just the baby, and mums think their diet is to blame! What is your experience? Five percent is pretty tiny if that's true!
    Mirembe,

Happily married to DH since 6-11-05
    Mother to DS1,
    born 3-5-07
    bw 6lbs 2 oz
    and DS2,
    born 2-28-10
    bw 6lbs 2 oz
    DD #3 ,
    Born 12-21-2011
    Bw 7lbs 7 oz

and new to lll and loving it!

Default Re: How much does mums diet affect baby?

I know a bunch of moms locally that cutting something out of their diet made a difference for baby. For some it was milk, others gluten, etc. Does the colic/fuss typically happen about 6hrs after you have eating anything in particular? Oh, and often, moms who try to cut, say, milk, out of their diet -- it takes a couple weeks for it to get completely out of their system. So, you wouldn't necessarily see a change unless you made a solid effort for ~3 weeks (i.e. NO diary). Then, if you added dairy and the colic returned/got worse, you'd know it was due to the milk. Can't speak personally to any of this though, as we've never had to cut anything out of my diet.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Yeah I will stick with the diet another couple weeks to see, just feel like prisoner to it at the moment and simply can't manage giving up my soy chai at Starbucks, since I already gave up my coffee... Watch it be soy that upsets her! Why is it six hours? Is that how long it takes for things to show up in you breast milk? I think it is but would gave to really watch to be sure... Sometimes it seems immediate, but maybe that's just in my head. If she reacts badly at 1 am I will know she didn't like my dinner!
    Mirembe,

Mother to DS1,
    born 3-5-07
    bw 6lbs 2 oz
    and DS2,
    born 2-28-10
    bw 6lbs 2 oz
    DD #3 ,
    Born 12-21-2011
    Bw 7lbs 7 oz

some babies are fussy,and colicky independently from their mom's diet.
    I weighed the risks vs benefits of eliminating milk in my diet when i was nursing ds3.
    the risks of eliminating milk from my diet? Well I had 3 kids under 4 I was always hungry and I Liked milk in my cereal. i did not want to give up the one thing that was giving me pleasure, mmmm cold creamy milk in my capn' crunch.
    the benefits of giving up milk, well ds3 was a crying ball of colick. i had to hold him 24 hours/ day. he screamed and carried on like we were tourturing him. his sisters were afraid of him, he cried so hard he had an umbilical protrusion.
    I gave up milk for a month, he had a slight improvement, he was consolable. dh and I actually found a spare moment to make love.
    then i went back to milk. ds3 did not revert to his frantic existence. yes, he was still colicky but he outgrew the scary crying jags.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

The ~6hrs I mentioned -- isn't set in stone, but food in mom's diet is a delayed reaction for baby and will show up a number of hours later, rather than a more immediate reaction -- which might be due to OALD or gulping etc etc.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

I totally get the milk in the cereal bit, I am struggling with the diet thing, because it adds so much stress to constantly be worrying that you can't eat anything
    normal! I am really missing my one daily delight.... coffee!!! oh well, If one more week makes no difference I am going to slowly introduce some things. I am getting really tired and overwhelmed. Babies are supposed to like the car, and the swing, and well other things than my chest. Well she doesn't she screams when I put her down into anything... how do I get the other kid to school, today I pulled over twice to BF on the way to school... its a 20 min drive! She screens the second I click her car seat into place. Don't get me wrong I would adore nothing more than just sitting on the couch and holding her 24/7 but have two other children and husband. I hold her as much as I possibly can but have got to get a little sleep and get to school in the morning! any advice is welcome.
    Mirembe,

Mother to DS1,
    born 3-5-07
    bw 6lbs 2 oz
    and DS2,
    born 2-28-10
    bw 6lbs 2 oz
    DD #3 ,
    Born 12-21-2011
    Bw 7lbs 7 oz

I wouldn't rule out the OALD. I had insane OALD (spraying halfway across the room, literally). My baby was fussy and gassy, and definitely fussiest at night. Nursing reclined was the best thing for us, and fixed a multitude of problems. Feeding one breast per nursing session (if he was still hungry I would continue to offer the same breast a couple times before offering the second breast) helped with the gassiness as well. I also did a lot of tummy massage, bicycling legs, and warm baths (he went through a two week phase where a warm bath was the only thing that would stop the screaming). Changes to my diet did nothing more than make me miserable. More than anything, though, my baby just needed to get a little bigger to be able to handle the crazy milk spray and grow out of the fussiness.

Sorry, I don't drive so I have no idea how to handle the car. It sounds horrible, and I wish I could help. I did have a sling that I used all the time so that I could get things done when mine was little. He loved it and it worked wonders to keep him happy while I was doing things both inside and outside the house.

mamadavid, what you describe could certainly be from forceful letdown, which is causing a formilk/hindmilk imbalance that is irirtating your baby. Please read these articles to see if this sounds like your baby and, if so, implement some of the ideas. I usually caution moms to try the other ideas before true block nursing, and only block nursing if the other techniques don't do enough. http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ggrimacing.pdf

As far as your original question, in the vast majority of cases, a moms diet is not going to cause any issues like this. Do some babies react to something in a moms diet and can it cause the symptoms you describe? Yes. is it common? NO NO NO! Think about it. Breastmilk was designed/evolved for young babies. It is what babies are meant to live on, and to be slowly and safely introduced to an adult diet by. Would that system ever have worked if mothers regularly had to adjust their diets for thier babies? It simply does not make sense from a biological standpoint. Our species would not have survived.

By far, the most common irritant in breastmilk (and even this only occurs in a tiny fraction of babies) is a sensitivity to cow milk protein. So I would suggest ditching the elimination diet which must be very difficult to maintain and only eliminate dairy, for a few weeks-2 or 4? I forget exactly, and see if it makes any difference. If it does not, the next likely culprit is gluten.

But I am still betting its OALD, or at least that is part of the problem. Remember, nursing MORE frequently helps with this.

I am so glad that the LLL leader posted this! Too many moms are worried about this. I know I do, but I know it is more in my mind, than a reality.
    I understand that foods can effect some babies, but not the majority of babies.
    I also think that ANYTHING you give them can cause some fussy behaviors in the first three months because their system is so immature.
    I watched an amazing documentary called, The Science of Babies. They said the first three months is more like the fourth trimester due to the demands and fragility after birth. No doubt!

Thank you so much to the lll leader! That really helps to know! Since all three kids have had gassy/colicky ger symptoms I am pretty sure my OALD must be a contributor! Prob has very little to do with diet. I have noticed very little change in two weeks of living on turkey and rice and banana! So i did read about the OALD but am a little confused as to how to increase the hindmilk if it is also an imbalance, which the two tend to go together correct? I do block nursing and have only offered one side at a feeding since my milk came in! I had this problem before and expected it this time! So did it early on and haven't had any trouble producing enough!!! Ever! She has never asked or even looked interested in both breasts at one sitting, she spits up if I even re offer the same side. Now I asked nurses this is the hospital but never got an answer, when I pump one breast, I cam easily get an 8 ounce bottle, even by hand, and when it settles, only about 2 oz look thick at the bottom, like hind milk the rest look watery and whiter! That is why i have been thinking I have an imbalance, could this be the case or is that normal?
    Mirembe,

Mother to DS1,
    born 3-5-07
    bw 6lbs 2 oz
    and DS2,
    born 2-28-10
    bw 6lbs 2 oz
    DD #3 ,
    Born 12-21-2011
    Bw 7lbs 7 oz