Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bottle strike?

Default bottle strike?

Hi all! My 10 mo son is going through a Mama only phase! He is very happy when he is with me, but I can't leave the room without him throwing a fit. Moreover, the past two days he has only had about 2 ounces at daycare (he was drinking 9). He is nursing 4-5 times outside of daycare on demand and diaper output is the same as usual. I have not increased his solids and he is not sick. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'd like to work some BM into his solids during the day, but don't want to serve up soup. Any suggestions?

Default Re: bottle strike?

Has your daycare provider tried BM in a sippy cup? My son decided he was done with bottles at nine months and took all of his expressed milk in a sippy cup while he was at daycare.

Yes... no luck with the sippy. He'll take a few sips of water, but not BM

That's tough. If he'll eat oatmeal, you could try mixing some BM into that. It sounds like he's nursing pretty well at home, so maybe have DCP keep offering a bottle or cup and make sure to have plenty of solids if he won't take it. Just keep offering to nurse as much as possible at home. Sorry, that's all I've got and I know it's not much. I saw a thread with some alternative types of bottles that you can try, but at ten months I would personally be more inclined to try different types of sippy cups.

Maybe someone else here has some better ideas...

So I was thinking about the solids angle and I thought maybe you could make smashed potatoes and add in some BM. Or if he likes pasta, you could make a bechamel sauce and sub BM for some of the whole milk (or all of it if you only make a little bit of sauce). Or a tomato cream sauce with BM in lieu of cream if you don't do dairy. I've never tried them because my son spills half of his meals in his lap and I don't want to waste milk, but these things seem like they could work.

Thank you! The pasta seems to absorb BM well so that I'm not serving up soup!