Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Post weaning question

Default Post weaning question

It's been a week since I've completely weaned my 12.5 mo old son. The last feeding to go was a literally two minute feeding at 12am. He had been already getting rice milk bottles (which were slowly replaced) at 9 or 10am, 1-2pm 6pm before bed and around 10pm.

The 12am feeding was last to go, and I was only feeding him one breast per night. Over the week I felt one breast slowly fill up with a little milk. It has stopped getting fuller but I still feel milk there. I was wondering how long it will take to dry up and if there's a chance of getting a plugged duct or something. I feel very tender there and feel some places slightly firmer, tho not like a plugged duct yet...
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Default Re: Post weaning question

There probably is a chance of getting a plugged duct. You could try to empty just enough to be comfortable and I wouldn't wear restrictive bras until it resolves. Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks! Is it normal to be so tender though?

Hard to say. "Tender" can cover a lot of ground. I would definitely want to hand-express or pump a bit, and see if you can get enough milk out to restore comfort. In addition, stay alert for increased tenderness, red streaks or patches on the exterior skin of the breast, fever, aches, pains, or flu-like symptoms- those symptoms might indicate mastitis, in which ce you would want to contact your midwife or doctor for antibiotics and advice on emptying the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"