Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottle weaning questions

Default Bottle weaning questions

I am planning to start weaning myself off the pump after the new year, which means my son will start weaning off the bottle around the same time. I will probably spread the pump weaning out over a couple of weeks, and I have some frozen milk, so I expect to be done with expressed milk in early February.

Does it seem reasonable for a 13 month old to only be getting momma's milk in the morning and evening?

My other concern is my son's lack of success with any type of cup. Daycare has been trying to work with him by offering watered down juice in a cup with meals, but should I start having them put one bottle of milk into a cup, too?

I am worried he won't get the cup thing figured out and end up dehydrated, but I don't want to keep pumping forever!
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Default Re: Bottle weaning questions

I have been through this before, but I don't really remember how we did it. DD started with cow's milk at daycare in a cup, but I don't remember when I started her with it at home. DS1 taught himself how to drink from a cup by drinking water from sippy cups that DD left around the house. We even shifted him to cups before he turned a year old.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Start trying a cup at home with water in it at bath time and then gradually phase out the bottles.
    There are many moms who nurse at night and weekends and don't pump during the day.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

With Lilah we just stopped doing bottles one day. I had pump weaned and she was getting one bottle a day of frozen milk for a while and then I had a week or so off and she never had a bottle again. I think I'll do the same thing with Trixie. I can't imagine her drinking anything other than my milk from a bottle.

Both of my girls have been pretty good with a straw cup from about 9 months of age. And both could drink from an open cup with help from about that same age. I didn't offer cups of milk or anything other than water for Lilah when I was at home on the weekends with her, I nursed on demand and just didn't pump during the week. I'll do the same with Trixie.

I am wondering if I messed up his perception of what cups are for. We have used a cup in the bath for rinsing since the beginning and I never thought anything about letting him play with it and chew on it, but now he treats every cup like his bath cup (grab the rim, flip over, chew on bottom). A sippy with handles results in the handles getting chewed on; a sippy w/o handles results in the spout getting chewed on; a straw cup results in the straw getting chewed on. He might drink out of a cup for a split second if I hold it up to his mouth, but then he quickly resorts to chewing. It is not as though he doesn't know that liquid is held in these things, he just doesn't care to drink it.

Should I just have confidence that if I take his bottles away he will get thirsty enough to do it himself?

It's OK if he chews it. Let him. The novelty will wear off and then he's ready to notice what you do with it Bath time is an ideal time to play with the cup since baby is already wet
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How many bottles a day is he drinking? I would drop one a week, or a month, whatever works for you. Then he'll start drinking other things. I wouldn't stop the bottles cold turkey - like one day he's getting 12 ounces in bottles and then the next none. But if you reduce it by one bottle a week or whatever, it's a more gentle "weaning" process.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How many bottles a day is he drinking? I would drop one a week, or a month, whatever works for you. Then he'll start drinking other things. I wouldn't stop the bottles cold turkey - like one day he's getting 12 ounces in bottles and then the next none. But if you reduce it by one bottle a week or whatever, it's a more gentle "weaning" process.
    This would be my approach too. But Joe still gets a bottle before bed. And he's 2.5 years old.

He was really attached to his bottle, and it just didn't seem worth a giant battle. So I have a bottle-addicted toddler. I've been "weaning" him from it at a near-glacial pace, and I'm pretty sure he'll be over it by kindergarten. Some other babies take to the cup more easily, but they're all different.

ETA: He never sucked his thumb or a paci. So it's always been either bottle or boob for him. Thank goodness his teeth don't seem to have suffered.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; November 30th, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am going through the same thing as you right now. I am not pumping enough milk anymore at work to make a bottle for him when I am away. The nurse at WIC told me I could mix his bottles/sippy cups with bm and cows milk with mostly bm in it until he just gets cows milk in a sippy cup. I have found that giving him a sippy cup with a soft top spout and handles really helps him. I hope to be weaned off the pump and bottles by his 1st birthday. Then I will probably nurse him at night and in the morning still until he's about 18 mo or so. Hope that helps you.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

The amount I pump has gone down a bit so we are only giving him three 4 ounce bottles, when we were previously giving him 4.5 ounces. On days when I don't pump enough for three full bottles I just give him slightly smaller bottles. My husband wants to use frozen to make up anything less than 12 ounces, but I tell him not to, because if my son needs it he can nurse a little extra in the evening. Some evenings he is only going through the motions of nursing with little interest and other nights he sucks both sides dry. At this point I am just following his lead and am not fretting over ounces.

I am happy to report that he is doing better with the sippy cup after working extensively on it the past few days. I found that if I give him juice or water that is too cold he sputters after each sip. If the liquid is room temp is more likely to drink with purpose, though I still have to tip up the end of the cup every once in a while. I think since he is used to drinking his bottles in the reclining position he is used to holding them at that angle, so sitting up and drinking is taking some relearning.