Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight loss,Veggie Juice Diet?

Smile Weight loss,Veggie Juice Diet?

Hi ladies . I just watched the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and was truly inspired. I was wondering if it would be okay to do the juice diet while nursing. I figured it would have some benefits seeing as I do not get enough fruits or veggies in my diet. I don't want to cut out meat completely but I was thinking maybe have a juice for breakfast and lunch and have a regular dinner. I always make sure that we have a serving of veggies with dinner. Any output on this subject would be greatly appreciated. And if you you haven't seen the documentary yet it's a must see, especially if your trying to loose weight.

Default Re: Weight loss,Veggie Juice Diet?

i have seen the documentary. it was awesome! dh went on a juice fast based on that documentary and I posted a thead about it (its still somewhere in ATRT). I think its a good idea to go to their website (http://jointhereboot.com/landingpage/) I think its down now, but should be up soon. I say this because they give all the nutritional information for each juice recipe--calories, protein, etc which I think might be good to make sure you are getting enough calories. Alot of the juice recipes were about 300-400 calories. I think its possible while nursing to do the juice diet, but I wouldn't do it unless I had a baby over a year that wasn't nursing that often anyways. I'd be concerned about not getting enough calories and having supply go down. Also there is some concern about possible toxins being released from your body, but I'm not sure how much evidence there is for that.

Prepare to buy a crap ton of veggies. Seriously like one 16oz serving of juice may use up 2 apples, 2 carrots and half a bunch of spinach. On this diet I was buying for DH like 14 apples, 5 bunches of spinach, 5 bunches of kale, 20 carrots about every 5 days or something

Other things to consider. The juice diet as I saw it on the page when it was up also recommends you cut all nutritional supplements, all liquids except water (including any milk, soymilk, juice, coffee, caf. tea, etc). only herbal teas were "allowed" You may also notice some digestive issues--with juice you are not getting the fiber from the veggies/fruits, just the nutrients and calories. so you may experience some constipation and have to really increase your daily water intake to compensate for that, possibly take fiber. Just some things I learned while watching someone do this diet! I'm not trying to discourage you, just to share some of the things you may not have heard off the bat. Also I would avoid a juicer that's under 100 bucks, they are usually cheap and not as effective.

eta: a major concern on this juice is getting enough iron and calcium. it may be enough if you are eating a regular dinner. but without taking supplements the way the diet compensates for this is to include 1 juice a day that MUST contain a dark green veggie (kale, spinach, broccoli)
    Last edited by @llli*oakdryad5; January 9th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Wow, thanks that was very informative. So maybe I should just do like a fruit juice for breakfast with a couple boiled eggs or something. I will visit their site when it's back up and do some research. I would be a little worried about the release of toxins too. I may just have to wait until she gets a little older, she is five months now.

That is such an inspiring documentary! I would be concerned about getting enough calories from juicing alone. I wanted to do a juice cleanse at the start of the new year, but was afraid I wouldn't have enough energy. I ended up adding in a green smoothie for breakfast and am focusing on making my vegetarian diet even cleaner.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!