Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is fluconazole safe? Panicking!

Default Is fluconazole safe? Panicking!

Hi there,

I've been prescribed diflucan 200 mg/day for nipple thrush.
    I went to this site e-lactancia.org and it was marked as safe while breastfeeding, so I took one dose earlier this morning.
    Later I read about this being a dangerous medication (arrythmias, liver toxicity) and that large amounts went into breastmilk! I'm already panicking and wondering if I should pump and dump until blood levels decrease?
    I'm really anxious here because we've been struggling with lacth problems and I absolutely want to avoid nipple confusion (if I have to pump and dump).
    Please help!

Default Re: Is fluconazole safe? Panicking!

It's safe. No worries, mama.
    Last edited by @llli*duckpond; January 8th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Are you sure? Where can I read a bit more about it so I can calm down?
    Baby is 3 weeks old and It seems the medication lingers in the body for like 2 days or more
    Thank you!

Any medication and breastfeeding questions can also be directed to a LLL Leader or these folks: www.infantrisk.com
    "We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519."-infantrisk.com

If you have thrush, baby needs to be treated as well, even if baby is assymptomatic. And fluconazole (aka Diflucan) is one of the suggested treatments FOR BABY. Suggested dosage (From Breastfeeding Answers made Simple, lactation manual) for a baby is 6mg/kg oral suspension via dropper as a first dose and then 3 mg/kg once daily for 2 weeks. While these are the reccomended doses for 6 months and older, according to Hale (Medications and Mothers Milk) it has been given safely to younger babies as well. In any case this is a medication that can be given directly to a baby, so it is certainly safe for mom to take. Hale notes that no complicatiosn from exposure to breastmilk have beeen found.

Please, there is no need to pump and dump. The alternative to your perfect milk is formula, which has proven healthrisks. It is much safer in most cases is for mom to continue to breastfeed while taking what medications she needs.

That's the thing, nobody is really sure it is thrush!
    And I wouldn't want baby to be exposed to unnecessary drugs.
    The latch seems to have improved (baby opens wider, takes almost all of the areola in his mouth, seems to be drinking nicelly and gaining well) but one side is still very painful. The nipple is pink and when baby feeds it hurts and also kind of itches.
    Seems like a different kind of pain than the one I was experiencing with the bad latch (or maybe I m imagining it, I don't know anymore)and it gets worse by the end of the feeding. I've also been experiencing very painful letdown, which wasn't there before (neither with my previous child).
    The nipple that doesn t hurt when he feeds is also pink and very sensitive.
    Do you think it could still be from a shallow latch?

The itching in particular sounds like thrush to me. I would take the medications and not worry for a second. Thrush can cause those painful letdowns, itching and burning, etc. Shallow latch causes pain, but generally not itching/burning and painful letdowns - just plain ol' nipple soreness. Bad thrush can derail a nursing relationship entirely. To me, the benefits outweigh the risk of it being "unnecessary" (the medicine is itself low risk and it's routinely rec'd to breastfeeding moms).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with pp. While I am not so sure its thrush, it would be nice at least rule that out and move on. You taking the fluconazole is not going to harm bb. I do think that some direct treatment for bb is important though...

Have you tried All Purpose Nipple Ointment? this is kind of a catch all treatment that may help?

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Hum, I' m not sure I can find it where I live. But maybe I can get each one of the ointments separately and mix them? Could that work?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hermione View Post
    Hum, I' m not sure I can find it where I live. But maybe I can get each one of the ointments separately and mix them? Could that work?
    I've made my own APNO with equal parts hydrocortisone ointment, polysporin antibiotic ointment, and clotriminazole (antifungal) ointment/cream. Put in a small jar, and mix well. Apply after nursing. You don't have to wash it off before nursing again as long as the ointment has absorbed pretty well (no big clumps). This may not be enough for a more severe case of thrush, though. I also dose myself and baby liberally with probiotics when I suspect thrush. (You can get infant probiotics at a natural foods store, although I have been known just to break open a capsule of acidophilus and use that powder. It's harmless and any more than the body needs is just passed through.)

ETA: Also, just in case, avoid any use of soap on your breasts and nipples if you think you have thrush (actually, you never need to use soap; your nipples are self-cleaning). Water is plenty. Soap can change your skin pH and make thrush more likely. Make sure you're wearing a breathable bra, too. You want to avoid creating a warm damp environment there.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.