Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low supply at 10.5 months

Default low supply at 10.5 months

Good morning LLLadies!

First, I would like to extend my gratitude to all of you I would not still be breastfeeding at this point if it hadn't been for my obsessive reading of all of the amazing advice here during my ds's early months. You have given me a great gift of knowledge, and I've passed that on to my ds in the form of mommy's milk for the last 10.5 months. Thank you all so very much

Unfortunately, I've now found myself in a precarious position, and I need some personal advice because I am not willing to give up without a fight. I am finding that I am no longer able to pump enough to supply my son with enough milk while I am away at work.

Background:
    ds is 10.5 mos, weight is around 21lbs (triple his birthweight)
    I use a Lansinoh Affinity pump (I have replaced the valves and checked for further mechanical malfunction, but everything seems to be in working order).
    I typically pump twice during my workday and on the opposite breast that I'm feeding during most feeds at home. I used to get between 4-5 ounces, sometimes more during each pumping...during the last month it has steadily declined...on Friday, between two sessions/both breasts, I came home with 1.5oz I take fenugreek (4 pills/3x a day), do breast compressions, nurse on demand when I am home, and hand express after pumping.
    DS has been regularly ingesting solids since about 8.5 months, but still prefers mommy's milk to anything.
    There is no chance that I am pregnant. I had a mirena inserted 8wks postpartum. Two months later, my body rejected it, and it had to be removed. I have been using Nuvaring ever since, with no supply issues until recently. I do have spotting, but I never had a regular af for the three years leading up to my pregnancy, so I don't think the return of af has anything to do with the dip in my supply.
    I am currently without medical coverage, but thankfully, I am able to provide coverage for my son.

I am desperate. I would do anything to avoid formula supplementation at this stage of the game, we've come this far without it. This is breaking my heart. I would appreciate any and all advice that you ladies can offer. Thank you for taking the time to read my book
    Last edited by @llli*mommytoroo; January 8th, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
    DS "Roo" 02/17/11

We , , and .

If I'm here, I'm probably

Default Re: low supply at 10.5 months

How often are you able to pump? would you be able to get another session in- maybe on the way to work or at home? Have you checked to make sure that your horn size is correct- it can change. Even if your periods are inconsistent if you are getting your first post partum one that could explain the dip. Don't know if you have seen this link but it has a lot of ideas.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I'm kind of wondering if your pump is worn out. I was doing a little reading on pumps, and that one isn't quite meant for 2x a day pumping.

But...you might have hit the pumping wall a little late. Many pumping moms say around 9 months, they can't quite keep up supply to equal demand. Keep pumping. Add in a bit of solids....I can't remember all the things we talked about in the pumping thread when we all hit it at the same time.

I think it is pretty typical to see a drop in supply at that point.

Could you rent a hospital grade pump for a month and see what happens?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you both for your responses!

I am fitting in as many sessions as I possibly can, I really don't think that's the issue. I am pumping more than just the 2x at work. During most of my feeds at home, I am pumping on the opposite side while he is eating.

Susan, I think you may be on to something with the pumping wall, and the motor of my pump not being able to withstand my pumping schedule. In the early months, it was six to eight times a day, now down to four to six.

I have another issue though...I will rent a Symphony online, but while I wait, is there anything I can supplement with aside from formula? My freezer stash is almost non-existant now (about 21oz left between a hospitalization for treatment of an ulcer, and my supply dip). I need to give him something while I try to rebuild my supply, but I don't want it to be formula.
    DS "Roo" 02/17/11

We , , and .

Regarding renting a pump...look for a local IBCLC or call the hospital. You may be able to get ne same day.

I added a bit of cow's milk after my LO was 10 months, just at lunch. But it subbed for one bottle, and I caught back up.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Is it possible baby is being overfed by the caregiver? Mom running out of milk is a notorious issue for breastfed babies who are being bottlefed part of the day. Also, it could most certainly be the pump.

If baby eats solids, why not let the caregiver give more solid meals? Can you possibly temporarily take a long lunchtime to go home and nurse or have baby brought to you? or otherwise shorten your working days until you get a new pump? How long will it take?

Here is an article with a milk calculator to give you a rough idea of how much baby would need
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

and here are great tips for caregivers for bottlefeeding the breastfed baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Thanks again, Susan!

I did find a local IBCLC and will be contacting her regarding a local rental.

Meg, my ds's caregiver is well-versed in bottlefeeding of breastfed infants. It's truly a supply issue (where pumping is concerned). I am not able to pump enough to supply the miniumum number of ounces while I am at work. Unfortunately, my clinic is an hour from the caregiver, so a long lunch, or having ds brought to me are not options. I also am unable to shorten my workday because I have already had to extend the time between seeing my scheduled clients in order to accommodate my pumping, so I am working a minimum number of hours, while still being away for 10-11 hours a day (I only get compensated for the time when I am billing/seeing clients and I can't do that when I am pumping). I do appreciate you having taken the time to respond and providing the links though.
    DS "Roo" 02/17/11

We , , and .