Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the odds...

Default What are the odds...

That if I had excess lipase with the first two that I'll have it again?

I never pumped more than 1 day ahead for Joey because she was with me mostly. With Shiloh, I threw out a bunch of milk because it smelled horrid, and then I didn't pump much past 7-8mos.

With Joey, if I pumped on Friday, my milk was green and ROTTEN by Monday morning. And with this baby I will HAVE to pump. I will be going back to school around 6-8wks after the birth and I will be doing an internship that requires 12hr shifts So I will have to have a stash for my husband to feed baby. Also, I don't know how often I will get to pump. Nursing isn't predictable. I don't even know how I'd scald at the hospital.

Oy vey.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: What are the odds...

I don't know, but I feel like I've read about portable bottle warmers that get super hot and scald the milk???

That really sucks, mama. I'm so sorry.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

It's doable. Talk to Lyn she did it. Hey! I haven't seen her lately! Hmmm....

Way too lazy for formula

The two IBCLCs I work with say once a mama has it, she has it every time. But whether or not she can manage it is the issue.

What you are going to have to do is find out how long your milk will last. 12 hours? 24 hours? Somewhere between? If its 12 hours, you will need to scald at least your first pumping of the day. if it's 24, I bet you won't have to scald. I don't, but I feed the milk I pump within 24 hours. Between...you might be able to get away with not scalding by putting times on the bottles or bags so DH knows when to feed the milk by.

Scald and save Friday's milk for Monday (unless you don't get weekends off).

Buy a small plug in bottle warmer and put it in your bag. Wherever you double pump probably has a plug. Plug it in and let it scald while you pack up. If you work out how much water to add before you go back to school, you'll know how long it takes. It doesn't take long. It's a pain, but you may only need to scald 1, at most 2, feedings.

Unfortunately, you will have to work out a pumping schedule with someone when you go back. Second unfortunately, students are apparently NOT protected by laws protecting nursing working mothers. But I can't imagine that you are the first student in this situation. They may have some ideas to help you work it all out.

Katiia found a hand pump really helpful for quick sessions between classes.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Pumping at school is NOT an issue. There is a private office to pump in and all the teachers are cool. And I don't think the problem at the hospital is a matter of will they let me but finding time in between mamas delivering babies (if I get L&D) or between the busyness of an ER.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

You'll be surprised at how much downtime there is Well, its not downtime per say, but time where you aren't occupied. Ask some of the RNs here how they do it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Talked to my instructor - she's an IBCLC. She said they just got a new lactation room set up for students and faculty. She also said that the hospital won't be an issue either. She also recommended that I not store my milk in bags but glass or plastic bottles. She said that that will help. I'm trying not to be nervous about this - it will just be all new territory. So will leaving a new baby I will not put the baby in daycare though - I have an old lady that will watch him/her.

**Leslie**

Mama to:

The room will help

I'd be upset too at leaving a newborn
    Susan

The lady that is going to watch him/her is right around the corner from the hospital. Hell, so are we for that matter. And she will be able to bring the baby up to me if there is time enough to nurse as well. The hospital is really great here and the nurses are awesome. As are my instructors. I'm going to be helping one of my OB instructors (IBCLC) do a case study on balancing the needs of students that are nursing/pregnant vs meeting the requirements of the program and how to accomodate both. I'm excited. I just gotta get a good pump, now. My PY got used a LOT. Not sure if it still has any life left in it.

**Leslie**

Mama to:

I had a thought...since they are so pro-BFing there, maybe suggest they get a hospital grade pump or two for the room. Then all the mamas need to do is buy the kit for the pump, and then you all can pump faster and more easily, getting everyone back to work sooner.

Symphony is about $1200, Lactina is less. Ameda hospital grades are very good. And then there is the Limerick; they might be able to get 2 for $1000 under the programs Limerick offers.

Maybe the study can pay for the pump
    Susan