Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing solids start first w formula

Default Introducing solids start first w formula

Hello,
    I have been breastfeeding my twin girls exclusively for 5 months now. We started introducing solids with rice cereal about 4-5 weeks ago now their father wants to give them formula instead of the cereal to start with. He feels it would nutritionally be better but I say they are getting everything they need from the breast, formula would be redundant at best. I would rather stick with rice cereal and just a few days ago added carrots. Am I just being stubborn about formula?
    Thanks for your input!

Default Re: Introducing solids start first w for

Formula as a solid? Rice cereal is a single grain food and not that great nutritionally but adding veggies like avocado, etc will be great. If you breast feed and keep up with your kids needs then there is no need for formula.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hey there fellow Denver girl, your gut is right. There's no need for formula. It's not a solid. It's a replacement for breastmilk, and your babes are getting everything they need from you. As for starting solids, it's more about watching your babies for signs of readiness rather than watching the calendar to determine that it's an appropriate time for solids. Here are some readiness signs for solids: http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/solids.html

You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:

he is about six months old
    he can sit up without any support
    he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)

There are plenty of moms who skip the rice cereal all together. My daughter refused it. I tasted it and couldn't really blame her. Gross! You might want to look up baby led solids.

Why, may I ask, is dad pushing on formula and/or solids anyway? Does he want to bottle feed them or? Is he pushing you to wean? Are you wanting to stop breastfeeding?

Regardless, and way to go on nursing twins. Wow, mama. Just wow!!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Hello yoginimama and jenna562!
    I do not want to give up breastfeeding my girls. I do think they are ready to start "playing" with solids, they are showing all the signs. My one daughter will actually grab the spoon away to try and feed herself if you allow it. I have given them rice cereal mixed with breast milk, avocado and just recently carrots both also thinned with breast milk.
    They seem to love it but by no means am I expecting anything out of it but the new experience for them.
    Their father thinks that giving them formula will help them sleep though the night, I say they will sleep when they are developmentally ready(I'm almost 30 and have yet to sleep all though the night:P)
    I know plenty of mom give their babes formula and they are perfectly fine for it. I just don't see the need. He says I'm being stubborn and think of formula as "evil poison" certainly not true just not for me or my girls.
    Thanks for the input!

Tell their father that you don't want to pay to feed them inferior food when you are making the perfect food for free. There is so much risk involved with formula. Why pay for and risk contamination when you are making what formula strives to be?!?! That makes no sense to me. Your children don't need ANY Other food but your milk for the first YEAR of their life. Nutritionally they get all they need from you. All solids are for fun and exploration so that you can begin the transition at the year point. Even then breastmilk will help you fill the gaps. Stick to your guns on this one mama.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shaiena View Post
    Hello yoginimama and jenna562!
    I do not want to give up breastfeeding my girls. I do think they are ready to start "playing" with solids, they are showing all the signs. My one daughter will actually grab the spoon away to try and feed herself if you allow it. I have given them rice cereal mixed with breast milk, avocado and just recently carrots both also thinned with breast milk.
    They seem to love it but by no means am I expecting anything out of it but the new experience for them.
    Their father thinks that giving them formula will help them sleep though the night, I say they will sleep when they are developmentally ready(I'm almost 30 and have yet to sleep all though the night:P)
    I know plenty of mom give their babes formula and they are perfectly fine for it. I just don't see the need. He says I'm being stubborn and think of formula as "evil poison" certainly not true just not for me or my girls.
    Thanks for the input!
    You are correct. For the record: I was fed formula AND started on rice cereal at something CRAZY like 4 weeks old. I didn't sleep through the night til I was 3 YEARS OLD.

FWIW, I think your "stubborness" about formula is perfectly reasonable. It's pointless. They are getting everything they need from you. Plus, does dad really want to get up with them to make bottles all night? Isn't it easier to let you nurse - for him?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thank you djs.mom! That is exactly how I feel about it!
    yoginimama, I too was formula fed and started solids early like you(I think my mom gave oatmeal) My mom says I never really slept well at all.
    And that is an excellent point I'd be wise to bring up! I am sure he enjoys the very minimal night distraction of nursing and would not take to well to actually having to complete a task at such hours lol!
    Thanks again ladies, glad to have some place to discuss instead of lay'in round think'in I really am crazy.

I just want to add that if you are able to supply 100% of your babies nutrition with your breastmlik than keep it up mama! I am breastfeeding twins but only supply about 75% (I shouldn't say only, I am super proud of myself to provide enough for 1.5 babies )

Breastmilk is A+ and formula is A (someone wrote on another forum here)

Keep up with your milk and congratulations on the great work so far
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

with pps about BM being the only thing your babies really need the first year (although you should start letting them explore solids when they are ready so they are ready when they need more than BM) and for breastfeeding TWINS! I can't even imagine.

As for starting solids, I would DEFINITELY recommend baby led weaning. It is where you completely skip the purees and go straight for the good stuff- the food you eat yourself! www.rapleyweaning.com. Not only are there so many benefits- baby works on learning and fine motor skills while eating, learns to recognize different foods (purees all look basically the same!)- but you save money on baby food, and you aren't sitting there feeding a baby while your dinner gets cold It's really great!