Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many...

Default How many...

How many times should a 6month old nurse in a 24hour period to maintain a good supply? My son just started to have baby food in the evening and I nurse him before and after(sometimes), I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that we are doing the right thing. Thanks

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: How many...

There's no hard and fast rule about how many times a baby needs to nurse at that age. However, IMO it should ideally be about as many times as before you introduced solids. Since you want the baby's primary source of nutrition to be breastmilk, with solids just for exploring new tastes/textures/motor skills, I think it makes sense that you'd want to keep the total number of sessions similar. Though of course as time goes on your baby may drop or add nursing sessions, depending on his needs at the time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: How many...

He usually ranges between 9-13 times in a 24 hour period with 4-5 being in the middle of the night. We are currently working on helping him soothe himself to sleep in the middle of the night because he wanted to nurse all night long. Last night he was up twice to nurse and then he nursed 6 times from 7am-9pm. It sounds like its about the same as before solids were given but I never really kept a real record of how many times so I am not sure the difference between before and after solids, kwim?

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****