Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: things were better now this..need advice

Question things were better now this..need advice

so i posted a while back with latch issues and cracked nipple right breast. it has not completely healed still hurts at first whil latching but then pain subsides after 30 seconds. it visibly looks better too. i am back to full time nursing no bottles i pump once a day as i am a nurse and will have to go back to work at 13 weeks so i am freezing some...2-4 oz per day. i had a gastro virus 2 days ago and was dehydrated (dizzy heart rate was up blood pressure low). went to er and got fluids and still breastfed my 5 week old son...he seemed ok with supply after 2 liters of fluid where he was unusually fussy all night and wanted to nurse non stop. so now 1 day after this i have 104 fever. just took motrin tylenol and it has broke. i'm having no problems with taking in fluids so i am drinking a lot. i have muscle aches in back and neck....and my breasts are so sore like the whole thing it feels bruised is the best way to desribe it. i have had mastitis in the past don't think it's that but not sure...the pain is equal in both breasts and it just feels so sore. i have also had yeast in the past and it hurts a lot less this time... wasn't sore like this a few days ago??? is it maybe related to the sickness?? just don't want to miss anything...like an infection...no red streaks slight slight burning but mostly at night time...i do make a lot of milk..thanks in advance

Default Re: things were better now this..need ad

Yikes! I am no mastitis expert, but it sounds like mastitis to me! You need to get abx right away, mama!! Can you call your doctor on call and see if they will call you something in to a 24-hour pharmacy. The flu symptoms and the pain in your breasts is pretty tell tale: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Nurse, nurse, use hot compresses and call your doctor!!

ETA: Your doctor may tell you not to nurse. Don't listen to them. That's wrong. It's the best thing you can do right now. Yikes. I'm really worried for you. Please call and KUP!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

this sounds like mastitis to me, too.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How are you feeling? Did you get some abx?????

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Hmmm. It could certainly be mastitis but its a tad unusual for it to be in both breasts. I wonder if this is the flu, coupled with some engorgement? when I have the flu I feel sick and achy everywhere. By the way, perfectly safe to continue to nurse in either case-

well i woke up this am with red streaks on my left breast. i called my md and she also stated that it is not the norm to have it in both breasts but seeing i had streaks she would treat me with abx. i have had two doses and my breasts already feel a little bit better so i think it is mastitis....i'm just sooooo happy to feel better....now the next concern is yeast which i got when i had mastitis with my last child and it took me 4 months to get rid of it!!! i did get a dose of diflucan also which i'll take and i also have probiotics...any other ideas to prevent yeast from the antibiotic??