Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constant queasiness

Question constant queasiness

I am feeling sick to my stomach constantly these days. Am I dehydrated, anemic, not eating enough or the right things? I thought it was just holiday stress+too many cookies, but that's over now, and no improvement. It's pretty dry here but I drink about a half gallon or more a day and I only end up peeing like 3x in 24 hrs sorry tmi but is that too little? Is there a specific quantity I should be drinking? I can't seem to force myself to drink much more... I eat all the time, it seems like. There's no way I'm pregnant (thank goodness)!

Any one else have a similar problem?

(sorry, rambly... I've always been bad, and seem to have lost all ability to write coherently.)

Default Re: constant queasiness

Dehydration or anemia are pretty common in breastfeeding women and both can make you feel sick and light-headed. Honestly, if your baby is still pretty young, a half gallon doesn't sound like that much! I was drinking a pint glass of water pretty much every time I nursed! Which would be like 1.5 gallons a day or something! I don't see any harm in trying to drink even more water, and also consider increasing the iron in your diet. I hate regular iron supplements but I like Floradix, so that might be an option.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

P.S. I'd try drinking a ton more water first bc 3x/day doesn't sound like enough to me. And increase your iron, because why not? But if that doesn't work, see your doctor, because there are other things that crop up in new moms that can cause a variety of symptoms, like thyroid issues.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Another suggestion to alleviate dehydration. Try to keep an eye on whether you are breathing through your mouth or your nose. I'm a habitual mouth breather (probably due to childhood allergies and stuffy noses)... and once I started making an effort to breathe through my nose instead of my mouth, there was a noticeable change -- I felt way less dehydrated and parched.

Also -- maybe your digestive system is out of whack? You could help maybe by adding probiotic or kefir to your diet. Worth a shot.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Okay, I'm going to ramp up water intake alot. I do already have thyroid issues, and there's only 1 endocrinologist in the city, and apparently the next available appt is the end of Feb. : (I wish there was a "grit teeth in annoyance" icon) and in my experience, other drs have no clue what they're doing in this area.

Hey, on the plus side, there aren't too many postpartum mamas who only pee 3x a day! A lot of mamas are still peeing a little every time they sneeze or jump up and down...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Hey, on the plus side, there aren't too many postpartum mamas who only pee 3x a day! A lot of mamas are still peeing a little every time they sneeze or jump up and down...

You can call me JoMo!

Haha, I've always had exceptional bladder control, except while I was pregnant, it was the most devastating part to me... I mean, it's alot when I do pee.

I have never paid attention to how I breathe, I guess a combination. And I guess a little yogurt added to my diet can never hurt.

i have heard that the color of urine is a good indicator of dehydration. If its really darkly colored you probably should be drinking more water. If your pee is light yellow or clear when you do go that is one good sign you are hydrated. Of course this might not be true 100% if you are taking certain medications or eating certain foods, just a general indicator.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Definitely drink more water, but I actually got queasy in the early months of breastfeeding. It was when my stomach was empty and really felt like morning sickness. It wasn't and I googled to see if it could be nursing related. Apparently there are others who have this too!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein