Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk storage???? Re-refrigerating??

Question Milk storage???? Re-refrigerating??

My son gets extremly hungry at night so i pump threw the day to build a small supply, my question is can I re-refrigerate and later use milk that has been warmed to room temperature?

Default Re: Milk storage???? Re-refrigerating??

I do...but I'm strictly bottlefeeding. If you nurse at night, as much as baby wants, your supply is better, and if you do this whisk cosleeping, you hardly know what is going on
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I personally never reheat thawed and warmed milk, I do use it at room temp for the very next feeding. My question is why aren't you nursing at night? Why feed pumped milk? Nursing a hungry baby whenever he is hungry is what signals your body to make milk.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I have always been told only to heat an expressed bottle once. As everytime you heat it, it loses some of it's proteins, nutrients, and quality.
    Proud mommy of Slater 11-8-11

Wife to Daniel 5-29-11

Supporter of Co-Sleeping and Back is best!

I am nursing at night as well as all day but it seems that i have less milk at night and its not enough to fill him up and he is not content. So i started pumping the opposite breast during the day so i have something to fall back on. I just dont want to waste if i can help it.

It is said you have most milk first thing in the morning. As for not wasting it. Once you heat it up the first time you can have it out for 3-4 hours.
    Proud mommy of Slater 11-8-11

Wife to Daniel 5-29-11

Supporter of Co-Sleeping and Back is best!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    If you nurse at night, as much as baby wants, your supply is better, and if you do this whisk cosleeping, you hardly know what is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Nursing a hungry baby whenever he is hungry is what signals your body to make milk.
    The best way to boost your supply at night is to nurse at night. Cosleeping is the easiest way to do this.

How old is your baby? If he is very young, then you may be up nursing much of the night for a short time. It also may be a growth spurt where your baby wants to nurse non-stop for a few days, in which case you should let him do so. Over time, giving bottles at night will only cause your night time milk supply to decrease even more.

I get it, it's just that when you give the night bottle your body thinks that it's made enough milk. In order to singalong your body to make more at night, you have to skip the bottles.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language