Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast as passifier

Default Breast as passifier

My daughter is 4 months old and definitely uses me as her pacifier. I nurse her on demand which is about every 2-3 hours during the day. She is 13lbs 3oz and 24 1/2 inches long. She refuses a pacifier. The problem is that at night she will not leave the breast. I will fall asleep nursing her and wake up with her still latched on. When i try to remove it from her mouth she cries and scratches me and herself until she gets it. I do not want to night wean or do anything stressful for her, but my back is getting pretty sore from being stuck in the same position all night. I really just don't know what to do . I started putting her in a pack n play near our bed just when she first goes to sleep but I've only been getting an hour or so out of her before she wakes and wants to nurse. If I try to put her back into her pack n play after that session she knows and either won't let me lay her down or wakes up within about 20 min wanting to nurse again. At this point I just bring her to bed and let her go at it all night at my expense. I have a growing concern for when she gets teeth as well, I was in the dental field before having her and am worried about bottle rot.

Default Re: Breast as passifier

You literally could have written my story. My son turned 4 months yesterday and he is exactly the same! I nurse all night long, and it has been especially bad the last week or so. If I unlatch him so I can lay on my back I get about 20 minutes before the scratching begins again.

I will be eager to see what others post, but I thought I would commiserate with you.
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Bottle rot isn't a problem with a breastfed baby the breast does not work like a bottle. If she is comfort sucking, or just holding a breast and not actively sucking, the breast isn't letting milk pool in her mouth because it doesn't drip like a bottle does. It just is in there.

4 months is a typical age for this kind of behavior. And it is very normal.

You can look up something called the Pantley Pull Off for a description of how to do it and see if that works for you. But one of mine insisted on being attached all night...the more I fought it, the more he wanted it.

The soreness from laying in one position...it passes. I have been laying in the same position for over 7 years now But you can move baby and resettle yourself and her. I used to roll baby over and then change sides at least. Try some pillows. Try laying back and nursing that way.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    4 months is a typical age for this kind of behavior. And it is very normal.
    I am glad to hear this, as I too am at my wit's end. Non stop screeching and crying the moment my 4 month old DD comes off the boob...or if she's fallen asleep, the slightest move from me (breathing, coughing, repositioning) wakes her up with the same results

Is there anywhere to read about this type of behavior at 4 months? Also, how long is this expected to last?

To the original poster, so sorry mama! The co-sleeping doesn't really work for us either...I find she stays awake this way, and none of us gets to sleep
    Good luck to you!!!

Proud mommy to
    Ava

since 9/3/11
    since 11/14/11
    and working on
    and more frequently!

Does she do this/need this during naps too, or just at night. Mine will eventually be OK without a nipple in her mouth but she still likes to sleep touching me. Pillows behind my back helps as well as shifting sides. Also going to bed early to get more crummy sleep quantity over quality (lol). One night she did want to nurse literally all night and I figured out she was having some pain from teething. Tylenol helped and she slept for a few hours after that.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I do know it is uncommon for a breast fed baby to have bottle rot because the nipple is usually farther back and doesn't drip like you said, but if she doesn't swallow all of it before falling asleep I can't see how it won't pool around her teeth. Maybe I'm just overly concerned but I would rather be safe than sorry. As for the Pantley Pull Off Method I will have to try it and let you know. Thanx! 4 Months may be a typical age for this but she has been doing it since birth! lol I'm not sure if she will still be doing it at 5 years or not

She only does this at night but doesn't sleep well during the day, her naps are short and few. She is also a very light sleeper most of the time, the only time she is really "out" is in the car. It is good to know there are others with this problem out there and yes how long is it expected to last?
    Last edited by @llli*annabellesmom; January 8th, 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*annabellesmom View Post
    I do know it is uncommon for a breast fed baby to have bottle rot because the nipple is usually farther back and doesn't drip like you said, but if she doesn't swallow all of it before falling asleep I can't see how it won't pool around her teeth. Maybe I'm just overly concerned but I would rather be safe than sorry. As for the Pantley Pull Off Method I will have to try it and let you know. Thanx! 4 Months may be a typical age for this but she has been doing it since birth! lol I'm not sure if she will still be doing it at 5 years or not
    She won't, and she won't be doing it when she has molarsmp, which isnwhere the milk would be pooling, the backmof the mouth. Most kids are better sleepers after a year. Some aren't great sleepers until they are 2. But biologically,nbabies aren't meant to be great sleepers until they are three. But IME, they all got better after 18 months. One was a great sleeper before 12 months. One was up an average of NINE times a night his first year but improved during his second year and is a fabulous sleeper now. The oldest was a horrible sleeper who got much better around 14 months.

This is biologically normal. It's the wanting a baby to sleep all night that isn't.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Great link thank you! I feel a little better about that now. Very informative.
    Last edited by @llli*annabellesmom; January 8th, 2012 at 04:20 PM.