Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Two lanolin questions

Default Two lanolin questions

First question...

Does lanolin go bad? I have Lansinoh lanolin, which I opened and used daily (several times a day) for two months. This was 9 months ago. I haven't used it since. Is it still safe to use, or should I get a new tube?

Second question...

My baby's chin is very chafed right under the lip because she keeps licking it. I was thinking of using lanolin on it (hence the first question). Has anyone done this? Is it safe for her? Does it work? The pediatric nurse suggested Aquaphor but it's not helping.

Thanks!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Two lanolin questions

I think there's an expiration date on the lanolin, but I haven't paid attention to it. I still have the 2 tubes I got when DS was born, and use them on my hands and lips. I would probably get a new tube before using it with a newborn, since I presume the concern is bacterial contamination and a newborn would be in much greater danger.

In general, newborns end up eating the lanolin we use on our nipples, so it ought to be safe as lotion. In terms of how it works, it's like petroleum jelly (except safe to eat!).

I also still have a tube from when LO was born and have occasionally used it past the 6 month mark. But I think its time to get a new tube since its really hard to squeeze out, but maybe that is because its cold...its not that expensive so I think if its really old (like mine, gosh nearing 2 yrs) just get a new one. Also I think a good practice if your tube ever gets left open is to squeeze out some of the initial goo and toss that, and use the underlying goo. That's what I do with neosporin anyway. An aside on it being safe to eat...LO has gotten the tube once or twice this week out of the drawer and she has been taking little tastes Good thing its safe. Maybe the flavor is giving her nostalgia
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I use it for chapped lips all the time. Heals then up real quick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*TimsMom View Post
    I would probably get a new tube before using it with a newborn, since I presume the concern is bacterial contamination and a newborn would be in much greater danger.
    Yes, that's what I'm worried about. Also, I moved cross-country in the summer, and the lanolin tubes (I had three opened tubes, as I kept them all over the house) got shipped in the moving truck. The truck was so hot, our candles arrived all melted! I will get a new tube to be on the safe side... I just didn't want to wait until it arrives (my local pharmacy doesn't have it), but I will!

i love my little one

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    An aside on it being safe to eat...LO has gotten the tube once or twice this week out of the drawer and she has been taking little tastes Good thing its safe. Maybe the flavor is giving her nostalgia
    this is so funny and cute!

i love my little one