Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby bit me a month ago, still hurts

Default Baby bit me a month ago, still hurts

Hi all, this is my first time posting. So my son is 8 months old and about a month ago he bit me. I was nursing him in church and he was getting distracted so he bit down. It hasn't happen again, so we're good on that front. The thing is my breast still hurts. I never bled, and outwardly you can't really see anything, although the nipple looks a little inflamed. I don't know what to do because it's the pain is beginning to increase. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone know what it could be? Should I be nursing less on that side (I've just been grinning and bearing it.)? What doctor does one go to for these things? Gyn? General Doctor? Help pleaseeee!

Oh, I should also note: I've had vasospasm issues before.

Default Re: Baby bit me a month ago, still hurts

I wonder if it's starting to get infected.

Yeah, I wonder the same thing. Have you tried using a different nursing position on that side? If your baby's teeth are consistently putting pressure on the same damaged area, it could be slowing the healing process down.

I'd see your GP about this one. He/she should be able to diagnose and treat an infection, if this is what is wrong. However, if you are prescribed antibiotics and you get advice to stop nursing or to pump and dump, come back here and let us know. Often moms are given poor advice regarding antibiotic use and you'll be able to ounce your doc's potential suggestions off of a ton of people who have BTDT.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If it were me, I would probably try some polysporin/bacitracin ointment for a few days to see if that helped things heal up, and if that didn't work, I'd see the doctor. I'd also be REALLY careful about baby's latch on that side. You might be able to heal it up if you give it a little more attention for a few days, you know?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.