Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desperate to increase milk supply!

Default Re: Desperate to increase milk supply!

LLL leaders are not lactation consultants. An LLL leader promotes parenting via breastfeeding. Hence, her advice is free. She doesn't do the same thing a board certified lactation consultant does, which is diagnose breastfeeding issues and treat them as much as she can. Hence the reason an IBCLC costs money. However, many have a sliding scale or may take payments if not covered by insurance. I worked with two trying to get mt clefty to nurse, and it was money well spent. All you can do is ask about payment, kwim.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm not sure if there is any LLL Leaders around but since no one really seems to understand what's wrong. I plan on going to IBCLC, she works from hospital and I hear her work is great. So my fingers are crossed. I researched about the tounge tie, I think my Slater may have it but am not totally sure. Does it hurt the child to have his tounge clipped and does it physically hurt him if a while to recognize. I don't want him to have to suffer so I would like to get it correct ASAP.
    Proud mommy of Slater 11-8-11

Wife to Daniel 5-29-11

Supporter of Co-Sleeping and Back is best!

From what I understand, it only hurts for a second. Reteaching them to nurse properly afterwards takes a little time.

Go up to the newborn second and put tongue tie questions or something like that in the title, and you will find the TT moms.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The LLL leader who came to see me several times for free is an IBCLC Certified Lactation Consultant (ETA: Sorry, redundant!). She diagnosed my son's posterior tongue tie at 5 weeks and we had him clipped (he did not cry at all!). His breast feeding improved dramatically within days, and within 2 weeks he was transferring more milk and I was healed up.

To Slatersmommy: Does it ever feel like sand paper on your nipple when your little guy is nursing? That was the biggest indicator (besides mangled nipples) that we had a problem.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

That is awesome that you have an IBCLC LLL Leader. Most aren't.
    Susan

I am surprised, I guess since its the only situation I was exposed to I just thought it was the norm. Super lucky. The other LLL leader here just finished her certification for IBCLC, so I have two within a 20 minute drive o.O!!
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Yes, just to clarify...

LLL Leaders are volunteers, mothers who have breastfed their own babies, and have training through LLLI that covers the normal course of breastfeeding and common problems that come up.

IBCLCs are paid professionals, have clinical training in diagnosing and treating more complicated breastfeeding situations, are certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE).

Some LLL Leaders are IBCLCs, but certainly not all.

Some IBCLCs are or have been LLL Leaders, but not all. IBCLCs may or may not be mothers themselves, and may or may not have direct experience breastfeeding. Sometimes they're already in the medical field, like RNs, and become an IBCLC as an additional certification or specialty.

I've been meaning to put a post in the announcements forum talking about the differences between the two... I should do that now while I'm thinking about it!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--