Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperate to increase milk supply!

Exclamation Desperate to increase milk supply!

Well I guess I should start by saying thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this.

I'm sixteen years old and a new mother, I have lupus which resulted in pre-eclampsia my baby is now 8 weeks old and I am desperate for help. I want with all my might to breastfeed my little one. It however seems like there is nothing I can do! I nurse my poor baby round the clock for an hour or more at a time. I have been told by multiple lactaion consultants that he does everything correctly, latching, sucking, staying awake. I have recently started to try and introduce formula because I am so frustrated! But my baby rejects baisically every type of formula, as he will spit up, get constipated, fussy, and gassy. Right now I have him on Gentlease but this is so depressing to me. I know he wants and needs my milk. The problem lies with me. Anytime I put him on my breast he will suck for a few minutes then become extremely irriated with it and scream I try to compress milk out but that does nothing for him. He has gained only 40 ounces in 50 days, and i'm sure most of that is from formula.

Recently I rented a hospital grade pump with little to no luck I pumped for 30 minutes and got maybe 3 drops of milk. I even massaged and put a hot pad on breast to try incourage the flow. So I called my doctor and he prescribed me some reglan. It was a miracle! I pumped 2 ounces in one pump. Shortly after I took the reglan though my throat began to close resulting in a trip to the emergency room. It turns out im highly allergic to the only thing that helped me! Please I need help desperatly I have tried everything! Fenugreek, round the clock nursing and pumping, pumping and nursing at the same time, oatmeals, increasing water intake, nothing worked except the Reglan I would love to try Domperadine but I have no way of obtaining it and I cannot get a prescription.

Thank you for taking time to read this. I apologize for the length but as I said before I am desperate for help. I have no idea if my lupus is playing any role in this or not.

Oh one last thing I have always had iron anemina, supplements and pills do not cure, not sure if that has anything to do with this either.

Default Re: Desperate to increase milk supply!

I don't have any real answers but I applaud you in what you are trying to do for your LO. The only thing I can suggest is to be sure that you are eating enough. I lost my pregnancy weight really quick (by the time LO was 8 wo) and now I weigh less than when I did when I got pregnant. I had trouble pumping enough for bottles when I was at work so I decided to try eating more. I eat at least 2500 calories a day now and have gotten better results with the pump. Also, be sure that your breastshield is the right size. I have a Medela PISA and I just ordered the small shield so I hope that will help with my pumping (it would take 45 min to get 3-4 oz).
    Wife to Adam 8/31/2008
    Mommy to William 9/30/2011
    Mommy to Tatum and Ellis 8/26/2013

The first step is the hardest, *Relax*. You may want to find an LC in your area that know something about tongue-tie. I had the same nursing experience as you and we had to see 4 LC's to get the diagnosis at 8 weeks, but even after his tongue was clipped we still struggled with my supply. I was able to find information on ordering domperidone online from overseas at breastfeedingonline.com, but one of the LC's that I met with knew a doctor in town that had used domperidone while breastfeeding herself and now does consultations for lactating moms. Hopefully you will be able to find some similar support in your area. Just remember to hang in there and you are doing an amazing job already.

How are you feeding the supplements? I ask because baby could have nipple preference, which would account for the at-breast behavior you are observing. Maybe consider giving supplements by SNS, so baby gets an immediate reward and your breast is stimulated while baby eats.

I messaged you some information about domperidone.

I'm working with a mom IRL who is going through this. It's heartbreaking to see a mom who wants to nurse so badly and can't

What about donor milk?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you guys for all the support! I just got off the phone with my lactation consulant whos advice was to "Give up and that there is no shame in formula feeding." Time to find a new constulant! As of right now LO recieves supplements from bottles that are supposed to mimic breastfeedings. I am unaware of what exactly SNS supplementing is? I am hoping to try domperidone withing the next few weeks. I am praying this works. Does anyone know if there are any symptoms of tounge-tie? As for eating right I suppose I could try to eat more. My weight at his birth was 186 within two weeks I was back to 162 my pre-pregnancy weight was 130. (Baby was small i just ate alot :P Plus pre-eclampsic swelling)

Look up Lact-Aid and get one. It comes with a booklet that explains how to use it. I found that one easier than the Medela brand.

Look up IBCLC and see if one is in your area.

Tongue tie usually results in mom being super sore and baby unable to transfer milk. In severe cases, mom has no milk because the breasts were not nursed, so no milk was made. Baby cannot extend his/her tongue, or it is heart shaped at the tip. Then you have the posterior ties which are difficult to diagnose. You can find photos online.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you I certainlly will. Do you know if most insurance companies cover lactation consultants? Like medaciad or Blue Cross. I can't afford anything incredibly expensive as i'm in school and my hubby is the working one.

My Blue Cross does not. But check with your branch. However...an LC is cheaper than a couple weeks of formula
    Susan

The LLL Lactation Consultant here works as a volunteer... are there any where you live?

As for iron, I am also iron deficient chronically, I put black strap molasses in my tea and in smoothies and oatmeal to try to help with that.

GL! Hang in there!!
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

I found a board certified Lactation Consultant about 30 minutes from me, So I'm hoping to see her sometime next week Thank you guys for all the advice, Any and all advice is deeply appreciated. Praying that something changes soon, LO hates or reacts badly to every formula and I can't stand to watch him suffer any longer.
    Proud mommy of Slater 11-8-11

Wife to Daniel 5-29-11

Supporter of Co-Sleeping and Back is best!