Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: almost 6 months and drying up

Default almost 6 months and drying up

Prior to the week I would pump about 15ozs a day at work. LO slept pretty well at night maybe - going at times 5 to 6 hours. This week I'm getting 10 ozs and had to add a pumping session at night to get enough milk for his bottles. I'm pumping at times 30 minutes and barely getting 3oz combined. He is also waking up every 2 hours during the night to eat. He gets a tablespoon of cereal mixed with fruit in the morning and a veggie with a tablespoon of cereal at night. He is now drinking 1 4oz bottle and 3-3oz bottles while I'm away...about 10 hours. I bf my daughter for over a year and had no supply issues. Thoughts?

Default Re: almost 6 months and drying up

May some of your pump parts need to be replaced? Or the thing a lot of others will probably say...a growth spurt.
    Wife to Adam 8/31/2008
    Mommy to William 9/30/2011
    Mommy to Tatum and Ellis 8/26/2013

Any change in nursing sessions that might affect your pumping output? (i.e. did he start skipping a night nursing session, or do something to maybe tell your body to drop the milk output)
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Check to see if your membranes on your pump need to be changed. That can make a big difference.

Has AF returned? That can also cause a dip in supply.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I use a freestyle and have 2 sets of supplies so one set washing while the other in use. Nope my friend is still on vacation somewhere. I seem to be feeding more at night every 3 hours at least. The week before I was home with him for 5 days so no pumping. Pumped this morning for 30 minutes and only 4 oz. It is so depressing. I used to get 7 oz during that session.