Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medela Calma Bottles

Default Re: Medela Calma Bottles

I too am deathly afraid of nipple preference based on my experience with DS! Since we're on the topic (or perhaps I should start a new threat?) I wonder which bottles to try with this new little one - the BreastFlow?

I meant to say in my last post that it looks like they're NOT readily available, which has since been confirmed! Good to know that info from Marley-n-emily...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

This is the only nipple my daughter has ever had. My sister got them originally from Germany from my cousin and then I bought some additional ones after my daughter was born. We love them and she has had no problem going between bottle and breast. They are definitely different than a regular bottle as baby has to actually work to get the milk out instead of it just flowing out through a regular nipple but they work for us.

So , I have a problem!!!!! I bought one of these calma bottles and my DS will not take it what so ever!!!! Trying to get him to the breast and thought I would try these, big waste of money!

I have about 10 bottles my babes would not use No one bottle is the solution to everyone's problem. The way Medela is marketing this one is kind of making me mad.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I have about 10 bottles my babes would not use No one bottle is the solution to everyone's problem. The way Medela is marketing this one is kind of making me mad.

I went through a ton of bottles that my daughter refused. Turns out she would take latex (brown) nipples that were Playtex. It was something about the latex vs. silicone with her. She went back and forth just fine. She also will use silicone sippy cups now. I dunno. It was frustrating until I figured it out.

But they all are so different. The marketing is kind of deceptive, I think.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

For what it's worth, I just tried these, and don't think they're going to work for us. Baby went right to it (apparently he will suck on anything that goes near his mouth - hard!) so there was no problem convincing him to take it and suck, but he got flooded with huge mouthfulls of milk right away. He ended up gagging/spluttering and spitting it out (with quite a confused look on his face) almost before I even realized there was a problem. Tried it a few more times to see if he could figure out how to control the flow, but found it wasn't worth the time and energy when he takes regular silicone nipples fine.

So far I haven't had any issues with preference, he seems perfectly eager to still come to me when I get home. But this is only my first week back at work not nursing him all day so who knows. :/

We use the Calma nipples. Yes, they are very expensive. We decided to go with them because we did not trust anyone to pace feed our baby using a slow flow
    nipple. We have visions of him choking, spitting up and wasting my milk. He already eats like a piggy on the breast, so I worry about slow flow nipples.

I'm using this for my baby and he doesn't seem to have any problem sucking from it. It is the first one we introduced to him. He doesn't have a problem switching back and forth between this and the breast.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sciencemum View Post
    We use the Calma nipples. Yes, they are very expensive. We decided to go with them because we did not trust anyone to pace feed our baby using a slow flow
    nipple. We have visions of him choking, spitting up and wasting my milk.
    I'm so fascinated by this, because the choking/spittingup/milk wasting is exactly what did happen to us with the calma. It makes me wonder a lot about the mechanics of how babies suck... at the same time he doesn't have the most textbook latch, wondering if that has something to do with it.

They sell them at the local medical supply here. Thats about all I know about them.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude