Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medela Calma Bottles

Default Medela Calma Bottles

Anybody seen these?

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Calma-B...5858356&sr=8-5

Expensive...just about as expensive as the Habermans were.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Medela Calma Bottles

Haven't seen those but I'm intrigued...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I'm going to look into them. The price is crazy but it might be worth it for this new baby coming along in March for when I go back to work in June/July. I had a real problem with DS and nipple preference (thus, my EP for almost 6 months).

903 ounces donated.

Looks like they're readily available in the US - your amazon link is the only place I can find them...

903 ounces donated.

are those like the breastflow with two pieces?

I've seen one! A local Leader gave me one of the nipples alone to try (they fit the pump bottles, of course). At the time she had to get the nipples from Europe and they were $35 each. They are very odd - the tip of the nipple's like a big open straw. I tried it with Emily and she didn't have a clue, she just chewed on it.

They're supposed to replicate the breast as much as possible, but I found that the silicone was surprisingly hard (whereas nipple tissue is very soft) and the wide open hole doesn't seem to remotely resemble a nipple. I would think breastflow or some of those kind with multiple holes would be a closer match...

Of course, if I have a second little one, I'm going to be DEATHLY afraid of nipple/flow preference, so I don't know what I'll do...
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Interesting....

Apparently Amazon is currently the only place to find them in the US. And yes, it is a two piece thing. But that is iinnnttterrreseeting about the hardness. The Adiri is nice and soft, like a breast, but it was sure easy to drink from, unlike a breast. I wonder why Medela made them so hard?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

There was hardly any contour to it at all, either - the tube/nipple is very straight and while not sharp, the end is very blunt. I just remember thinking it looked like the most uncomfortable thing to try to suck on...

My friend the leader said that she had never seen a baby that would take to them - she suspected that if they were started very early with no other bottles, maybe, but I don't think I would even offer something like that. I gave it to Emily when I was in that "try anything" stage of giving up on nursing, but she didn't even associate it with something to "nurse". I could understand if it was made to train them to an even lower flow, but it didn't seem like it would help with nipple refusal in the least.

I like Tommee Tippee bottles with the flexy part at the neck of the nipple. The variable flow ones have a really large nipple, not unlike my recovering flatties... If I ever need bottles again, that's probably the way I'll go...
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Wow that is expensive. I would only try them if NOTHING else seem to work.
    July 27 2011

Seems to me that this is Medela's solution to the Breastflow bottles I would not buy a $19.99 nipple unless I had no choice, like with the Habermans. I spent $150 every 8 weeks on nipples.
    Susan