Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cosleeping and illness...

Default Cosleeping and illness...

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but I am wondering what you cosleeping moms do when you have a bad cough and can't take anything for it because you sleep with your baby. My baby will be 8 months on the 11th and I don't know how long I need to be hypervigilant when I co-sleep with her. I am assuming that taking dextromethorphan (DM) isn't a good idea with an 8 month old because of how it can affect my sleep. Do you ladies have any ideas or suggestions? I am not dealing with this yet, but I usually get a cough this season, so I am just wondering what my options are. I have always co slept and I just don't think she would sleep without me, but I don't want to put her in any danger from me being on something that would make me less responsive to her when we are sleeping.

Thanks!

Default Re: Cosleeping and illness...

I usually don't take anything also due to nursing. I crank the humidifier and drink tea.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Humidifier, vaporizer, elderberry tea, probiotic/kefir, neti pot.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Ooh, didn't think about this...I agree with PP, have used those in the past without a LO and have had good success. I've also had good luck with the product Sambucol stopping any respiritory stuff in its tracks...it's elderberrry extract (i've also made my own, but I might just suck it up and buy this to ensure good potency if/when I get sick) so as far as I know, safe for nursing.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Im always afraid to take anything
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I have to have cough drops and water nearby or my coughing wakes him up. I don't take cold meds in general but not really because of nursing. I think expectorant type stuff is ok though- it won't affect supply like decongestants can. And those won't make you drowsy. Just a thought
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I am just getting over a cold I had earlier this week and didn't take anything b/c still nursing quite a bit. I did tea and honey, on the worst night I did a huge honey lollipop lozenge for sore throat, took hot showers for the steam, used a humidifer every night, also saline nasal spray was super effective for nasal congestion. i've used hot peppers in the past also for nasal congestion with some success.

also i think you can use baby vicks vaporub on yourself but I didn't this time around

i just coughed if i had to cough, sucks but there it is.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog