Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breastfeeding Pain

Default Re: Breastfeeding Pain

Hi, and good job making it this far, esp. in pain! My experience was similar to yours. We got the TT clipped, latch settled, only to discover the joys of vasospasms. I used to cry whenever Lo would latch on my right side, tho at least there were no sores. The pain went away a couple months later, with the onset of summer, but that nipple (which is inverted) is, it turns out, naturally lipstick shaped! Our latch on that side has always been trouble. Then we had four months of thrush. You can't win! Anyhow, with winter has returned my excrutiating right nipple pain, which I've been meaning to ask about here myself. So I don't really have advice for you, as much as sympathy.Fortitude! I have found advil/motrin helps a lot. But first definitely get the tt cut: its the easiest thing to do and can make a huge difference, tho it can take a little practice for the baby to relearn nursing. A funny story: a friend's baby needed it cut over the weekend, so dr advised her to do it herself, so she took the baby to our local rural vet and he cut it in his bus/office! It's really that small a procedure at this age. Good luck, and may this resolve your pain!
    Last edited by @llli*katmar; January 6th, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Poofreading
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Definitely sounds like a latch issue to me. The blanching sounds like vasospasm (http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/...blanching.html) which produces sensations which are often jstaken for thrush. I also want to point out that it is possible for a baby to have a poor latch that doesn't look bad on the outside: a lot of moms are told "latch looks fine" and are not told that a latch can look great and feel awful. And that a poor latch can be the result of tongue-tie but is not always the result of tongue tie. My first kid tore my nipples up awfully but wasn't tt'd- it was just the combination of her short (but not tied) tongue, her highly arched palate, and my short/flat nipples that produced problems. So if someone says your child isn't tt'd, that doesn't rule out latch issues.

ETA: I missed your post about the LCs saying this is TT. Sounds like you want to see a different pediatrician, or perhaps a pediatric ENT doc. If 2 LCs are saying TT, then they are probably right.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you all for your words of advice and encouragement. My baby actually had the frenotomy this afternoon, and we have only nursed once after that as I worked today. We will see how it goes!
    As for the redness to my nipples, I had been using vinegar, gse liquid, and the APNO. After about a week of that my skin became scaly looking. Since then, I have stopped the vinegar and gse liquid and the scaling is gone, there is just redness now. And since I only pumped today, it seemed the redness was a bit more pink. I honestly don't know what else to do if it is thrush for treatment, as my OB said he thought with the 3 rounds of diflucan I have been on the thrush would have gone away by now and won't prescribe anymore.
    Thanks again

oh, and is there anything I have to do for him to relearn nursing or will that come naturally?