Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Pain

Default Breastfeeding Pain

I have a 14 week old boy and have been experiencing pain since the beginning. It started with cracking and bleeding until he was about 14 days old. Since then, we have been treated multiple times for thrush. This past round, I took 14 days of diflucan, we both used gentian violet; I am taking probiotics, gse tablets, Candex. I used a vinegar rinse on my nipples, gse liquid, and APNO. Nothing seems to have helped.
    My pain is more to the right breast. My nipples are both sore while nursing. At times it feels like a squeezing-type pain to my nipple. There is no deep breast pain during nursing. However, afterwards, I feel throbbing pains to my breasts. This pain is not excruciating, but it is noticeable and not pleasant. Sometimes this pain begins shortly after I am done nursing, sometimes it takes 30 minutes to half an hour. Both of my nipples/areolas are reddened and have been throughout treatment. I have some tingling to my upper back. My breasts are sore when I touch them (the breast tissue) and at times the pain goes to the base of the breast.
    I suppose I am hoping that someone out there has had a similar experience with difficult diagnoses and treatment. I have seen multiple lc's. I have been told before that I have signs of raynaud's phenomenon, but as the pain after nursing is very tolerable, I do not feel it is necessary to take nifedipine. It is more the nipple pain while I am nursing I am concerned about. Does anyone have experience with raynaud's and pain while nursing? The pain begins with latch on and soreness continues throughout. Thanks!

Default Re: Breastfeeding Pain

Has your baby's latch been checked for tongue tie?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Also, when baby comes off the breast, what shape are your nipples? Symmetrical, like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical/wedged/creased, like new lipsticks? And do you ever see a color change in the skin of the nipple after nursing? The tips might blanch white and then return to their normal color, or have a triphasic color change from white to blue/purple to normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When LO comes off the left breast, most of the time it is symmetrical. The right is frequently asymmetrical. There is occasionally a white stripe across the nipple tip to the right. And I do notice nipple blanching- again, sometimes starting soon after nursing and sometimes starting 30-45 mins later. I also occasionally have itching or burning sensations, although that is mostly deep in the breast. Thank you!

And, I have been told by 2 lc's that he is tongue-tied, but my pediatrician says he is not tongue tied and doesn't need it clipped.

To me, that is not thrush. That is a latch problem, call the LCs back and ask if they know of any ENTs who could take a look and clip it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If you've been given two diagnoses of tongue tie -- I'd see if there is a way to get that clipped even if your ped. doesn't think it's necessary. I have a friend whose LO was tt -- he had to be clipped 2x. The second time, the nurse doing it said there wasn't enough there to clip for it to even make a difference.... but it made a world of difference for my friend and her LO was finally able to latch on without a nipple shield (first time ever) after that second time.

Grape seed extract or oil is also good for treating/preventing thrush, I believe. It might not hurt to add a probiotic into the mix too?
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Would tt affect only one breast? I suppose I would think it would affect both breasts. I have had blisters to my right breast as well, which I believe would be telling of tongue tie? I called my pediatrician today to talk with her about it, and I think I will go ahead with the clip. After all, it is worth a shot after all of this time! I am pretty much willing to try anything to make bf'ing work.
    Should I be concerned about the redness to my nipple and areola? What could be causing that?

Would tt affect only one breast? I suppose I would think it would affect both breasts. I have had blisters to my right breast as well, which I believe would be telling of tongue tie? I called my pediatrician today to talk with her about it, and I think I will go ahead with the clip. After all, it is worth a shot after all of this time! I am pretty much willing to try anything to make bf'ing work.
    Should I be concerned about the redness to my nipple and areola? What could be causing that?
    tt makes it difficult to latch. In cases of a poor latch that are not related to tt, It can certainly happen for latch to be more painful on one side than the other due to a moms natural assymetry and/or positioning factors. So I suspect it could also be the same if a baby is tt. Lets put it this way, I would think it much more likely that tt affect one side than for thrush to affect only one side. Also, if I read your post correctly, both nipples are affected but one is much worse? I think that could be consistent wiht tt. Certainly your LC's thought so and presumably they actually examined baby's mouth and know what to look for. there are 4 recognised forms of toungue tie and unfortunately many pediatricians are not familiar with them all.

For a very good discussion of tongue tie I highly reccomend you beg, borrow or steal (did I say that?) A copy of book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition, 2010) You need the 8th edition. It is available in several languages and it is $20.00 US retail, less online.

One question about the thrush treatments-was baby treated as well? If not, that can pretty much blow the whole treatment. Also, with thrush usually presents as scaly nipple/areola skin or shiny nipple/areola skin, both with pain. So depending on shinyness or scalyness, the redness could maybe mean thrush but it could just be owie injured nipples from a poor latch.

How you hold the baby can make position, and therefore latch, different on each side. So yes, a TT baby might latch well to one side but not the other.

What I am saying is that, despite all our efforts, it isn't possible to hold a baby exactly symmetrically to each breast. There are always differences. And babies also have side preferences.
    Susan