Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about number of feedings?

Default Question about number of feedings?

My baby is 6.5 weeks old. He is starting to become somewhat more efficient at nursing. At this age, is it ok for him to nurse 7-8 (sometimes 9) times per day rather than 8-12? He occasionally will do a cluster feed in the evening kicking us up to 9 feedings, but mostly does 7 or 8 sessions over a 24 hour period. He takes both sides during the session and seems to have adequate wet diapers. His messy diapers have decreased to two GIANT ones per day.

He weighted 8lb13oz at birth and went down to 7lb 14oz at 4 or 5 days old. I'm weighing him in at 10lb 8oz as of yesterday. Is that adequate weight gain? Can I not worry about him scaling back the amount of feedings seeing as he is gaining and he is filling his diapers?

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Question about number of feedings?

Yes, it's totally ok! It sounds like he's doing great. Congratulations on your baby boy!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You don't need to worry about the number of times he nurses. As long as he is gaining and filling his diapers he should be fine.

Thank you for the reassurance! I feel as though I spend all day trying to count feedings I've done through the day as if there is a quota to make!