Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing Supply

Question Increasing Supply

I have been struggeling with my milk supply for a while and was wondering what anyones expierence had been with pumping in the middle of the night. I already pump six times a day and just cannot add in any more sessions during the day. Ds self-weaned at six months and has absolutely refused to nurse ever since, so nursing more often isnt really an option for me. Af has returned...boo. And I think she may be part of my problem. I have tried fenugreek and mor milk plus in the past and didnt notice that much of a difference. If I do add a night session what is the best time and how much should I expect my supply to increase and how long will I have to do it for?
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

Usually , but wish we were still

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused!
    -Unknown Author

Default Re: Increasing Supply

Between midnight and 5AM. At least once. Maybe indefinitely, maybe not. But IME, it takes like a week before I see results by pumping.

Is your pump in good shape? For EPing, it is much easier if you do it with a hospital grade pump, not a PISA or the like.

Try calcium and magnesium for the AF dip.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a PISA that I just got in October. I was hoping that I could make it two more months withoutvhaving to rent a pump. I am also still atking the prenatal vitamin. Doesnt it have enough calcium and magnesium, or should I take extra?
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused!
    -Unknown Author

I noticed the best increase taking domperidone and fenugreek and pumping. Weaned off the pump and fenugreek as it gave DD loose poops and still take the dpd.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

When you got the new PISA, what were you using before? Did your supply start dropping around then?

You would have to look up the calcium and magnesium dosages, but IIRC, it is more than what is usually in a vitamin. Even a prenatal.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have thought about the domperidone, but I dont know how much I like the idea of taking something that Ibcant get in the US.

I was using a PISA before, but wall charged burned up, and then the pump started making funny noises after I got a replacement, so Medela sent me a new pump. I started noticin the drop when ds stopped nursing in August, and then another drop in October when the pump messed up, and now another drop with the return of AF at Christmas. I am down to only making 18oz a day total (from 6am to 10pm).
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

-Unknown Author

Ehat about cows milk? DS will be 10mo yomorrow. Do you tgink that I could just sub one bottle a day wih cows milk? He drinks 24oz total and I am only making 18. I also do not gave much of a freezer stash as it was all spoiled b i did not know before that I have high lipase abd he will not take the unscalded frozen milk. I will have to go out of town for a few fays for work sometime in the next couple of months so I am trying to save what little frozen scalded stash I have for then.
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

-Unknown Author