Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wraps?

Default Re: Wraps?

I think it is a good idea to find a store with a good selection and try some on with your baby in them. I found that my baby became too heavy for our ring sling around four months. I bought a Moby without trying it out first and I hated it. For me, it was too difficult to get my baby in and out of it, and he never really liked to nurse in it. A lot of moms love it though, so it's something to try. Although I used it on occasion for going out, it got uncomfortable for carrying my baby around at around six months. I love our Ergo. I'm still nursing my 13 month old in it when we're on the go. I love backpacking him around in it too. But that's just what works for me. It's worth trying some on before you make a decision.

I have the Moby wrap and liked it but it was too hot in the summer to use it and now she is too big for it. We got a baby bjorn but I wish I had known about the ergo carrier. Might convince my husband to shell out the $100+ for one since we are only on baby #1.
    ~DD born 6/7/11
    Successfully and while at work for 1 year. Now we are still till who knows...

I'll second the previous posters who suggested a woven wrap. Walter's organic (double burshed, not the trial wrap which is terrible) are relatively inexpensive. I still wrap my two year old in one.

Oh, can't believe I forgot to mention this! See if there is a Babywearing International chapter near you -- they have carrier libraries with tons of different style carriers, you can check them out and borrow before deciding what to buy

http://babywearinginternational.org/
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*adri-kay.mom View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I had been looking at the Moby wrap, I know I can easily find one around here. The K'Tan is now also intriguing to me. The website does not show that it is carried in a store near me. I am nervous that I would not get the correct size. Is there any way to adjust the sizing if it is too big?
    I looked at their sizing chart and it's accurate as far as the one I have and my own size. since it's 100% cotton, I just pop it in a hot wash once a week or so to shrink it back up when it feels too stretchy. if you're unsure, I'd go smaller rather than larger since you want it to be fairly snug. my daughter is a year old and 20 lbs and she still rides comfortably in it.
    if I had the money right now I'd buy an Ergo... I didn't know about them when DD was born or that would have been the first thing on my baby registry! they are pricey but I've only heard people rave about them.
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elisabetsey View Post
    Oh, can't believe I forgot to mention this! See if there is a Babywearing International chapter near you -- they have carrier libraries with tons of different style carriers, you can check them out and borrow before deciding what to buy

http://babywearinginternational.org/
    that is awesome! I wish there was a chapter in Southern California... but there is one in DC for the OP, cool!
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

Oh yeah, if you're in DC there are all kinds of babywearing meetups. I went ot the one in Silver Spring and got to try on different lengths and thickness of wraps. I also got advice on what to do with the extra length in mine now that I have a toddler and tend to do quick ups and downs with less layers.

Thanks for all of the input. I am currently looking though all of these to try and decide. I always nurse while LO is in the cradle or football position, so I am nervous about getting something that I wont be able to nurse that way right now. I know this will change in time, so I do need something that I am able to change up!
    AdriAnn born 6/24/09
    Kayleigh born 9/15/11 with its struggles, but worth it all!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*adri-kay.mom View Post
    How difficult was it to learn how to wrap the Moby? And once you learn, how quick can you get it on?
    I learned really really fast just by watching videos on YouTube. It takes me about 30 seconds to get on.

Well, if you get a wrap, you can do that now, and then progress to other carries later
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!