Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At my wit's end!!

Unhappy At my wit's end!!

DD is almost 6 months old. EBF for 3 months then when I went back to work I had a hard time pumping enough and eventually had to supplement with formula. I feel like a complete failure. I've never had good luck pumping, getting maybe 10 ounces per day in the beginning and it slowly declined and now I get only 5 ounces per day. I pump 2 times a day on days I work and usually once when I'm with DD. I used to know that I produced enough milk for her, but now I don't think I am. Sometimes she seems to feed all night and is never satisfied, so I end up getting up and making a bottle to give my nipples a rest! I know that giving her formula hurts my supply, but what do I do when she's hungry? I've tried the mothers' milk tea, oatmeal for breakfast (and sometimes lunch), I've sipped on beer, I drink plenty of water and nothing I seem to do helps with my supply? Is my pump too old? Is there something else I should try? PLEASE HELP!!
    Mommy to:
    DD born 7/14/2011 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    DS born 5/31/2013 8 lbs. 6.5 oz.

Default Re: At my wit's end!!

Oh mama. Hug. You are not a failure! I can imagine how frustrating and disheartening it is to work for the bf for three months and then have it derailed by our infuriatingly insufficient parental leave policies. Family values, ha! Really, this is not something to feel bad about. First, i would def check all pump parts. Did you buy it new? It might be worth calling the company. Maybe first replace the valves.
    Can you tell us more about your pumping routine? How often and how long? Breast compressions? Do you have a good spot to pump, where you can relax?
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

You are definitely not a failure! Nature didn't intend mamas to be separated from their babies, or for mamas to try to replicate what a baby dies using a piece of machinery. It's a challenge and the proof that you are NOT a failure is that you haven't given up!

This link on increasing supply when pumping may help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html. What sort of pump do you have?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have a Medela Pump In Style that my sister-in-law passed on to me. Maybe it's too old and I need to replace some parts? I have never really responded well to the electric pump. When I pump I generally pump each side for 15-20 minutes and I do breast compressions. I usually nurse before work, pump at home on my lunch break and (since I normally close - yay retail) I pump when I get home from work. It's definitely not a matter of not being in a comfortable place. On days when DH has DD while I'm at work I'll sometimes have her nurse on one side and pump the other at the same time, and even then I don't get much out. I'm lucky if I get 3 ounces per session, my average is 2.5 oz. When I first went back to work I tried getting up all hours of the night to pump but it never yielded much, so I stopped that. I just feel so burnt out because I've tried so many things and nothing has worked! I hope the next thing I try is the right thing!
    Mommy to:

you could try renting a hospital pump (to see if output is indeed the concern...or if it's just your pump?)
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redcobra View Post
    I have a Medela Pump In Style that my sister-in-law passed on to me. Maybe it's too old and I need to replace some parts?
    Do you know how old it is, exactly?

Pump motors have a finite life span... Medela would tell you that it may last through several babies, but they only guarantee it for one year. Beyond that it can become less and less efficient. I don't think it's something you can fix without replacing the whole pump.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

It's probably about 3 years old...I suppose that means I should just replace it altogether?
    Mommy to:

I pumped exclusively with a hospital grade medela symphony for 6 wks, then tried to pump with an inherited (3 year old) in style. I got nothing! Each 30 min session would leave me with tears and very little milk. I ended up buying the little medela single side pump and that has worked great -- so it was definitely a worn out pump. I would start by calling medela to see if theycan replacethe motor, but realize it may mean replacing the pump. I like the pp suggestion of a hospital grade rental while you're sorting this out. It will get your supply back up and give you confidence; you might also pump a little more often for the first week or so to get it back up. Biggest drawback is that you'll be sad to go back to the consumer grade!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!