Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not getting enough

Default Not getting enough

Our baby is 3 1/2 weeks old. He lost about 10% of his weight in the first 5 days or so and we have been fighting uphill since. He is now only 3 oz over birth weight. My wife has had trouble latching which lead to a frenulum (sp) clip yesterday. He still cries a lot while getting on and seems to have problems getting on but seems conent once there. We were very optimistic this would help, however we got the scale from lactation today and he has taken less than an ounce each of the two times we checked it today.

We have been pumping and supplementing him some all along based on lactation recommendations to get his weight up. Supply seems fine, there is almost always 1.5-2.5 oz left when he's done eating.

Now it just feels like we're out of options. He just doesn't take the milk and needs to get his weight up. Any thoughts would be appreciated at this point.

Default Re: Not getting enough

Did your wife have IV fluids in labor? That can often inflate birth weight making the loss seem greater than it is.

I don't know much about the tongue clipping issue. But I can tell you about those darn IV fluids.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Yes, she was induced so she was pretty full of fluid amd potocin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*helpingpapa View Post
    Yes, she was induced so she was pretty full of fluid amd potocin
    Yea. That happened to me after being pumped full of fluids for 22 hours. My daughter lost a ton of weight and they freaked out. But she was swollen with tons of water weight, as was I. I later learned all of this from LLL. But I didn't know. I just thought the doctors knew best about my daughter not gaining enough weight. It's really super common for babies who are induced to seem like they lose a lot of weight and the docs worry they "aren't getting enough." I kept an eye on her diapers. Now I think I would have bought a scale to weigh her at home to make sure she was getting enough milk. My daughter didn't regain her birth weight until she was either 3 or 4 weeks old. I never supplemented with formula. She's healthy and perfect. I would suspect the IV fluids making it seem like your baby's weight loss is worse than it really is in reality. You know?

I can't really speak to the tongue tie issue. There are other mamas here who are more informed.

ETA: Here's a pretty good overview on it, papa. http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/scales.html
    This may help too: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; January 4th, 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Christine

I had the same issue with my previous son... lost 10 % of his birth wt and took forever to gain it back, every time we would go to the doctor, he was only on the 10% percentile of wt, but doctors kept assuring that he was ok... as long as there are enough wet and dirty diapers, as well as baby more alert and eating well. i did not supplement at all, just latched baby on 24/7. It is very important to continue follow up with the lactation consultant, as i did, to make sure that latch is good.
    Good luck and Daddy... Thanks for supporting your wife in this most wonderful journey of BF your child!
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Same story for us... induction, 24 hrs labor (+ IV), C/S. By the time we left hospital, LO had lost 10% of weight. We never supplemented though. Just offered to nurse every 2 hours around the clock, or more if LO wanted. Instead of focusing on the scale, we paid attention to diaper output. That's the best indication

The more your LO nurses, the more it will up his mama's milk production. Let him comfort nurse too!
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

My opinion isn't probably going to be too popular in this forum but I'd recommend keeping an exact count of his intake by pumping and bottle feeding breast milk. We've been doing that for almost 4 months now with a preemie since he didn't learn how to latch until a few days ago. His weight gain has been beautiful - he started at 3lbs and is now over 13lbs - and I rest easy with the assurance that he's gotten enough. That said, you have to be cautious of how you treat the expressed milk. Make sure to freeze it right after pumping, minimize exposure to light and don't use anything that's been frozen for more than 3 months. Once in the fridge thawing, milk should be used in 12 hrs ideally or it goes bad (my son starts cringing and crying). Fresh is best, if it's at all a possibility, and should be given at least once per day. We have to supplement with baby vitamin drops & formula since preemies need extra nutrients but I'd think vitamins are a good idea for term babies also since expressed milk starts losing nutrients once it's out of the breast: Calcium levels, for example, drop 35% in the first 3 hrs. That's my advice to get him stabilized and gaining. Once that's established, you can work on breast feeding.

I personally wouldn't want to bottle feed so early. You run the risk of nipple confusion and it becomes more and more likely that the baby will not latch the longer you wait to work on breastfeeding. Then you are stuck pumping, and pumping stinks. It is really hard work, and it never gets easier while nursing gets much easier over time.

It seems like your baby might just need practice nursing, especially after getting the tongue tie clipped. I would keep the baby at the breast as much as possible and look into a supplemental nursing system for any supplementation you need to do. I don't have any experience with tongue tie, so hopefully more informed mothers will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

As an exclusives pumper, I would suggest doing EVERYTHING to nurse this baby at the breast. EPIng long term is the worst of both worlds. It is not easier than breastfeeding will become. It is always much harder. I've had a tough day today made much more complicated by the pumping thing.

I would NOT recommend as one PP said, which was to pump to establish supply then try to get baby on. It usually won't work. If a mom doesn't try to offer to nurse, a baby will forget. They start to prefer bottles. Don't go there. Give supplements another way, such as an SNS, a finger feeder, or a syringe, or even a cup.

Instead, I would suggest
    Finishing all feedings at the breast. This may mean giving him some milk then when he's not starved, trying to latch
    Cosleep to have baby there near the breast
    Call an IBCLC for some hands on help. It may take some time for him to learn how to latch for good.
    No bottles.

Sorry, gotta run. Sick baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    As an exclusives pumper, I would suggest doing EVERYTHING to nurse this baby at the breast. EPIng long term is the worst of both worlds. It is not easier than breastfeeding will become. It is always much harder. I've had a tough day today made much more complicated by the pumping thing.

I would NOT recommend as one PP said, which was to pump to establish supply then try to get baby on. It usually won't work. If a mom doesn't try to offer to nurse, a baby will forget. They start to prefer bottles. Don't go there. Give supplements another way, such as an SNS, a finger feeder, or a syringe, or even a cup.

Instead, I would suggest
    Finishing all feedings at the breast. This may mean giving him some milk then when he's not starved, trying to latch
    Cosleep to have baby there near the breast
    Call an IBCLC for some hands on help. It may take some time for him to learn how to latch for good.
    No bottles.

Sorry, gotta run. Sick baby.
    I highly disagree with pumping and bottle feeding. It creates way too much work in the long run. Forget the bottles.

Christine