Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you answer these comments?

Default How do you answer these comments?

I nursed my DD til she was 18 months and plan on child led weaning with my twins..

Lately, I've been hearing comments that I don't know the answer to..

For example, someone said that they think that when a child is introduced to solids, that they should decrease BM like formula

Or one I hear all the time
    "If they have to be off the bottle by a year old, then they should be off the breast by a year too"

Anyone know the answer to those questions?

Default Re: How do you answer these comments?

I personally like using a response meant to educate people about your reasons for extended breastfeeding. This is an excellent resource for information on the benefits of extended nursing:

Breastfeeding benefits toddlers and young children...
    nutritionally, immunilogically and psychologically.

And LLL has a great page about handling criticism here:

How do I respond to and avoid criticism about breastfeeding?

Hope this helps! You are doing a beautiful thing for your children continuing to provide them with not only the superior nutrition in breast milk, but also the comfort, warmth and love they receive from nursing.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I dread those comments, really. I think that I suprised my mom by nursing this far...and he's only 6 months old!!

I plan to nurse him as long as I can get him to...LOL, somedays that isn't a lot! I can't imagine the look on my mom's face if she sees me nursing a two year old.

We'll see when we get there.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

You got some great information from the previous posters!

As for the question you posted, I think people want babies off the bottle by 1 year because the artificial nipple can cause problems with oral development (crooked teeth, etc.) when it's used past 1 year. With breastfeeding, however, that is not an issue. If anything, it promotes healthy oral development! (reference: http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/bfeed_oralcavity.htm).

I don't know if I have a pithy response to offer. But many babies are not off their bottles at 1 year old and certainly I see toddlers all the time with their pacifiers. I also second the notion that the reason babies are suppose to wean from their bottles has to do with oral development and pacifiers can interfere with talking. BF aids oral development and doesn't interfere with speaking.

Also the whole decreasing nursing with increased solids doesn't make sense because it's not like there is a scientific formula with the corrolation between minutes nursing and ounces of milk. My little guy nurses a lot and sometimes I feel full and sometimes empty when he starts. Surely he's getting a different amount of milk at different times. Also sometimes he's just hanging out doing the bare minimum of sucking so that I don't declare him done.

Laura

I hate those comments. I always get asked if I'll still breastfeed my son when his two (usually said with a whole LOT of disdain and disgust) I just tell them, that if he still wants nummies, I'll still nurse.

As far as decreasing BF when solids are introduced . . . my son actually increased his night nursing when he started eating solids. Some days he nurses more than others. Some days less. Follow your baby's lead. My doctor (who is very supportive of my BFing) told me to follow my son's cues on whether he's hungry or full and not to worry about overfeeding at this age. My son's 10 months old and a happy boob man.

Attachment 72

Glad you got some good info here by these posters.

I'll chime in that no, you don't "reduce" bm because they start solids. If you bf on demand, then you just follow their demand, as their solid intake varies greatly, just as their nursing varies. Just keep offering as usual!

As for getting babies off bottles at 1, that's for oral dev. No problem there w/ bf--bf help oral dev! Kellymom.com is a great source for this kind of info.

Great for you for standing up for what your babies need. :-)

Good luck,
    Teresa
    Marcos 11-3-04

First of all I think it is best to trust your baby. In my experience my babies are smart enough to know when and how much they need to nurse. They were also plenty smart enough to eat the right balance of solids to grow and prevent starvation/illness. This just gets messed up when adults try to make up all kinds of rules about how and what the child should eat.

There is a lot of marketing now of second year formulas for children to continue on to age two or into toddlerhood. Many doctors are recommending these formulas to the moms I encounter. I see toddlers everywhere I go with bottles, thumbs and pacifiers, many appear to be four and five years of age. I think it shows how important the need is for a child to comfort themselves by sucking well into early childhood. I think it is more important to keep the teeth clean and see a dentist than to worry about weaning a child away from an object that provides security and comfort. As my children's dentist once pointed out to me many, many adults are not able to give up oral habits like nail biting, caffiene, sodas, coffee and smoking. He says a child deprived of sucking objects will suck the tongue causing far more damage. His opinion was we should not expect a child to accomplish what an adult can not.

It is hard to go against popular society but so worth it for the benefits of nursing. I think others just can't understand because they haven't experienced the relationship like we have.

As far as your original question goes I don't answer these questions. I don't feel a need to justify to anyone the parenting choices I make. My pediatrician is a bit of a freak and one day I intend to nurse my four year old in front of her! I've learned not to say anything to her about breastfeeding but I would really, really love to educate her!

My 12-month-old has been biting and recently I got a bad infection from the bite. He only bites during the day when he's done and his teeth have been hurting, and it's only a few times a week. I'm sick of everybody telling me that's his way of telling me he's done. I know he still loves nursing, but I feel like everybody thinks I'm doing something wrong by nursing a baby who 'doesn't want to nurse anymore'. I almost feel like they're making it into something inappropriate. My husband feels this way, too, and even his mom who nursed him 2.5 years thinks I should quit. If I don't mind the occasional chomp, why should they care? Even my best friend says, "see, that's why I didn't nurse my daughter".(That's no excuse not to nurse until the teeth come in)