Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: some reassurance needed..

Default some reassurance needed..

Can someone please reassure me that my LO is getting enough to eat? Paranoid first time mommy syndrome is kicking in over here! It's becoming a theme more often than not that DD just seems too distracted to nurse for a decent amount of time. (decent amount of time for her=5 minutes ) I mean, she literally will nurse just long enough for my milk to letdown and pop off and fight me when I try to reign her back in. I give up and set her down. Sometimes within a few minutes she'll fuss, but when I pick her back up, same darn thing, popping off and looking around. No, kid, the scenery has NOT changed since you last looked around...Anyway, I shouldn't be concerned about her getting enough since her diaper output is good, right? I guess this behavior, combined with the fact that she's starting to slow down in the weight gain department (she gained a pound a month the past two months as opposed to her usual two pounds a month) has got me freaking out just a little.

ETA: As far as diaper output goes, I'm fairly certain it's good. I mean, plenty of wet diapers, but she also, for the past couple months has gone down to one, maybe two poos a week. I keep reading that it's perfectly normal for breastfed babies to poo less often--again, I find myself second guessing myself on that one...it's soft, profuse, but not nearly as profuse as the early months. No straining or anything. This first time mom paranoia is for the birds, I tell ya!
    Last edited by @llli*kjohanna; January 4th, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Default Re: some reassurance needed..

As long as diaper output is okay, there's no reason to worry. Poo output definitely can slow down to 1 a week at this age, and weight gain is expected to slow down somewhere around the 6 month mark as baby becomes more mobile and devotes more calories to activity than to fat stores. It's a good thing that weight gain slows down, or babies would reach their first birthdays too fat to move!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds normal! My LO slowed down in weight gain around six months (when he became mobile). We've done most of our heavy duty nursing sessions while napping, being worn in carrier, or at night while co-sleeping. Otherwise, he will pop on and off ...too many things to see and do!
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Sounds normal. Their weight gain usually slows at around 6 months when they get moving. And the older they are the more efficient they become. But you should get a nursing necklace. So you have something for her to focus on and twiddle with that isn't your tit or your hair. Because that is coming.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    you should get a nursing necklace. So you have something for her to focus on and twiddle with that isn't your tit or your hair. Because that is coming.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

when my LO was around 7 months, she started to cut back on nursing sessions. i had been giving solids for a month and she hadn't changed her nursing patterns for that time, so initially i didn't quite understand what was going on. i kept putting her to the breast at the usual intervals (at least every 2 hours). perhaps out of habit she would latch, suck for a little, then i would get a let-down and she would pop off after a couple of gulps. this ended up giving me OS and a lot of plugged ducts!

i'm not saying this is your case, but... i was feeding MORE OFTEN than on demand! i was just used to feeding her even before she showed signs of hunger, and that had worked for all that time.

so i started to wait for more unmistakable signs of hunger (my baby starts eating her arms/wrists!), which sometimes meant waiting 3 hours between feedings. lo and behold, she went back to nursing fully and for the normal amount of time! my supply regulated, too.

again, i know every baby is different, but this took me a couple of weeks to figure out, and when i finally did i was so glad. fwiw, it also seemed like she was taking more milk at every feeding than before--maybe her stomach was bigger and she could stock up more?
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Thanks ladies that helps a ton! I think I have been nursing her more than on demand as well, ha...i will watch her cues more today instead of nursing more out of habit and see how that goes.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com