Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone have experience with lip ties?

Default Anyone have experience with lip ties?

So a blog that I subscribe to posted this article, which I read today: http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-d...-and-lip-ties/

It's about lip ties, and after looking at the pictures, I took a gander inside my LO's mouth....yup very obvious lip tie. Mentioned it to DH and he's like, oh, I'm not surprised, it runs in my family. We both had had our suspicion, it turns out, but never said anything to each other about it. Now that the topic has been broached, DH revealed that he's a little concerned, seeing as it can lead to having a gap in between her two front teeth--something he doesn't want her to have to put up with later on in life.

I'm more concerned about the immediate--potential problems with nursing. Seeing as I've made it 6 months with very few problems already, do I need to be concerned? From that article, the only thing 'symptoms' my LO/I have is she's somewhat gassy (not enough to affect her disposition for most of the day though...she's a pretty happy baby) and she nurses frequently day and night-- 1 1/2-2 hours. I'm not convinced that the frequent nursing in my case is a problem. I'm just so paranoid that all of a sudden my milk supply will tank--it can't just do that out of nowhere, right? I've had no pain, no nipple damage, nothing so far with nursing.
    So anyway, aside from my weird paranoia with potential nursing problems that I'm seemingly making up in my head, anyone have a LO that not having a lip tie clipped posed any problems with later on in life-- not sure if speech problems can result from a lip tie, like a tongue tie? Ugh,....in a way, I wish I had never read this article, it's tough enough to not be paranoid as it is, but I'm kind of glad too, in case something could still be done. DH wants to bring it up to our Dr.--not sure he's gonna know anything...had a lactation consultant meet with us once at 2 wks and she didn't catch it...it's pretty obvious to me though--it extends all the way to the bottom of her top gum...
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Default Re: Anyone have experience with lip ties

Not sure I'll be able to help much, but I just figured out recently that DD2 has a lip tie (slight tongue tie, also). IBCLC and docs missed it, but when DD2 had her 4 month check up, I brought it up to her pediatrician. He agreed and wanted to send her to an oral surgeon, but then felt that they might not see one so young. I told him that my eldest had tongue tie that was clipped at one day old by an ENT (TT was causing nursing issues), so he referred me to an ENT. Diagnosis: leave tongue tie alone as it was mild and didn't look like it would cause nursing issues. Said if it caused speech issues later, it could be clipped. As far as lip tie, she was concerned it might cause dental issues later (gap between teeth, improper cleaning of teeth as lip won't flange well...thus tooth decay issues.) However due to DD2's age, she did not want to do surgery on her (her tie is very thick). So we follow up when DD is one. She doesn't feel as if it is causing nursing issues (I do however.)

I am planning on taking her to a pediatric dentist instead as they are familiar with this condition, have the tools, etc. I feel they could make a better diagnosis, personally.

Having said all of that, it really sounds like you are doing very well. If she's gaining and growing at a good rate, has great output and seems happy, I would not even consider it as a nursing issue for you. I would mention it to your doctor to get an opinion and see what his thoughts are, but I don't think it's an issue of current concern. Later, depending on the severity, I would seek advice from a dentist just to avoid dental problems. I might also let the LC you met with know about it, and see if she has any tips about nursing a lip tied baby. I am not an expert, but I hope this alleviates some of your concerns.

That helps tremendously! We're planning on mentioning it to our dr. and going from there. I ended up calling a LLL leader who also put my nursing concerns at ease...still think that there's potential for dental issues, and she has the name of a LC who works with a pediatric dentist--perfect! Good to know that I can have options for treating it later if needed....I'm concerned I missed the window to have her lip tie clipped early enough without anesthesia (that's just my guess though so who knows) so if I can put it off without it causing issues in the meantime while we wait, I'd be more apt to do that. Just from what I saw with my own untrained eyes, I'm surprised (and soo thankful!) she's been able to adapt her latch accordingly without causing any ongoing pain or other issues nursing...her frenulum must be pretty stretchy, even if it is attached all the way to the bottom of her gums!
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!

Glad to help...this isn't an issue I really had a lot of people to talk to about, so I just HAD to let you know what my experience was. I am not sure if DD's had been caught sooner, if anything could have been done without anesthesia or not. I am leaning towards "not" as hers is just super tight and thick. Hers attaches where her front teeth would be. I knew something wasn't right because she simply could not flange her upper lip out. Every time I would try to flip it out, it would cause her to lose her latch completely. Sadly, she even bruised her top lip area one time as she sucked it in before I could stop her, and put a lot of pressure on it. Now that she's older (6 months) and her mouth is bigger, it hasn't been as much of an issue, but she still has problems at times. I do know there are varying degrees of tightness, so it sounds like your LO's isn't super restrictive, which is great for you!

I really don't think this will impact your supply at all as you've not been experiencing any issues and no trauma to your breast or nipples. Just out of curiosity...has she had any bottles? DD2 can't seem to hang onto them well, but I don't know if it's the lip tie, or the fact that she is so used to adjusting her latch for me that she's a bit confused on how to hang on to the bottle (milk goes everywhere!) I don't really need to pump very often, but I may just have to bypass bottles for now, and go straight to cups and see if that works any better.

Anyway, glad to help! BTW...just realized our girls have the same birthday! LOL
    Last edited by @llli*gamom; January 11th, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Both of my children have upper lip ties. It runs in our family, I had one and so did my mom. I nursed my son for 17 months. My daughter is 18 months old with no signs of weaning soon. I have not had any problems nursing because of the ties. Both were able to latch and nurse well from day one.

My mom and I both had gaps between our front teeth which were corrected with braces. I suspect my children will have the same problem. I have had them both checked by a pediatric dentist, who agrees they will likely need to be clipped at around the time their adult teeth come in. She does not think we need to do anything sooner. For me, having the gap closed was much faster and easier than any of my other orthodontia problems such as an overbite.

I know not all babies do as well with a lip tie, but if yours is already 6 months old, I would not be too worried about immediate problems at this point.

You've gotten some good responses from the pp but I thought I'd throw in my experience. DS was lip and tongue tied and we had nursing issues the entire time! The tongue was fixed at about 6 weeks which helped but didn't completely resolve my soreness. The lip tie wasn't caught until he was almost 1 and then our ENT that had done his tongue was the one that agreed to clip it, but only under general anesthesia. The pediatric dentist I talked to wouldn't even look at it until adult teeth were coming in. Anyway we went ahead and had it done by the ENT which took less than 10 min from the time they took him back to when he came back to me. I'm really not sure it helped our nursing as we were already in the process of weaning and he didn't nurse much after his lip was fixed.

Sorry for the ramble but my point in posting I guess was to let you know I never had an issue with supply despite our other issues so if you and your LO haven't had an issue I doubt it would show up now. And if she does end up with a gap in her teeth clipping the tie will probably fix it fairly quickly.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14

Thank you thank you thank you, ladies! *sigh* I'm feeling even better after reading some more experiences. Gamom- my DD doesn't flange her lip out when she latches either, though I guess it really hasn't posed a problem. It's more like she purses her top lip when she latches, which seems to work for her. I'm a little worried (just a little and not a lot, now that I've read of more experiences!) that once she gets her top teeth her latch will change, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Both DH and I realized that if she does indeed have a gap in between her two front teeth, well we get braces, no biggie. (while I'm all concerned this whole time about nursing issues, my DH is concerned that his beautiful baby won't have a beautiful smile ) But if clipping the tie before her adult teeth come in could take care of it, then I'd imagine that would be a whole lot cheaper!

oh, and Gamom, that's awesome that our dd's have the same birthday--small world!

My fourth son has a very severe LT, and the IBCLC thinks that, along with the cleft, is part of what defeated us at nursing His is probably related to the anatomy of his oral cavity secondary to his cleft lip. We are monitoring how it affects his oral development.

But if it is not preventing nursing, I would not worry about supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My LO tore his while crawling a month or so ago (separated it completely at the gums). If it's not causing nursing problems, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it -- as it's a minor surgery to correct at a later date if it looks like it will cause teeth problems.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!