Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When they refuse to nurse??

Default When they refuse to nurse??

If only babies came with instruction manuals.

Ok, so he must have been building up my supply because all of his extra feedings are now gone - I think. Instead, he's refusing to nurse and trying to get out of my lap. I know he wants to move around b/c he CAN - crawling, pulling up, cruising. I get that.

But what do you do in these instances? He's still nursing at least 5x a day - which includes at least 1x at night - but what about during the day when he won't? Do I just give him the solids? I always offer before solids. I generally offer before naps. He has decided the last couple of days to say, "No thank you."

We're approaching 8 months. He has 8 teeth. He's chunky and healthy.

Any suggestions would be great!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: When they refuse to nurse??

When my first turned 6 mths, he started refusing to nurse frequently. I always offered, but no such luck. It would totally stress me out! He was like that until about 11 mths, and came back to nursing with a vengeance. I would continue to offer, and try not to stress, which I know is easier said than done sometimes. Good luck, and hopefully this phase passes quickly.

Hello, crazy-distractible phase! I agree, you can just continue to offer, and try offering in a quiet, boring area where there isn't much else to do. But basically, you have to trust the baby to get enough food. If they were hungry, presumably they would eat, you know? It can be really hard at this phase. Any time when the baby will happily nurse (early mornings were always good for us) and get in a nice long feeding - seize that.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Hello, crazy-distractible phase! I agree, you can just continue to offer, and try offering in a quiet, boring area where there isn't much else to do. But basically, you have to trust the baby to get enough food. If they were hungry, presumably they would eat, you know? It can be really hard at this phase. Any time when the baby will happily nurse (early mornings were always good for us) and get in a nice long feeding - seize that.
    Agreed. Mine is 11.5 months and is also doing this. It's crazy. He latches on then contorts his body in every which way in an attempt to crawl, stand or sit while still latched on, of course all the while stretching and pulling me right along with him. Then he runs away only to whine because he is hungry. Sequence repeats.

Just keep trying, as frustrating as it may be. He won't starve himself, and is just excited about the world around him. In my line of work, i see way too many kids with serious health issues who could never be as rambunctious as my own son. I always tell DH, thank goodness we have a healthy baby who has the motor skills needed to contort/latch/crawl/stand and the cognitive skills to be so curious about the world around him.

This stage too will pass.
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

Most babies calm down a bit and get back into breastfeeding around a year. At least, this was definitely my experience. All of sudden, kiddo wanted to hang out in my lap, nursing, all.the.time. So it is just a phase.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.