Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OT: Fussy evenings

Default OT: Fussy evenings

Looking for some sympathy...

My guy is 7 almost 8 weeks and has a fussy period from anywhere between 11pm and 3am. Some nights are worse than others.

I KNOW it is not colic because he can be soothed and put to sleep. Some nights it only lasts an hour and the times vary. During the day he is pretty much happy and sleepy and passes gas with a little bit of fuss, but puts himself back to sleep.
    He only gets real angry with gas that wants to come up, because he loves to drink air bubbles as much as milk.

We do it all; rocking, strolling, various musics, singing, and different white noises. He will only nurse for food, not for comfort, so he takes a pacifier at night. Everynight he likes something different, but usually by 2am or 3am he is down for the count.

It isn't too bad. I mean he's not wailing like crazy and I can usually find something to calm him down. BUT, my back is killing me and I am SOOOO tired. I don't have to much help since my husband is working or caring for our overly dramatic 4 year old.

Just looking to vent.
    THANKS!

Default Re: OT: Fussy evenings

Mine did the exact same thing around that age! His fussy time was midnight to 4 a.m. It was horrible and there was nothing that I could do to stop it, but he grew out of it after a few weeks.

Have you tried wearing him (a moby or woven wrap would be most supportive)? That might be more comfortable than holding -- and if you can, take a walk outside. The cool night air always seemed to calm my LO down when I couldn't get him to settle.

Oh, and any chance he's overheating? Mine is a hotbox...so we had a learning curve where we had a complaining, overheated, overdressed baby boy.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

i had the same issue, but the time was from 7-11pm. we also tried everything. it eventually went away. singing helped my sanity b/c i could think about song lyrics. ibueprofen helped my aches/pains. baby wearing definitely helped. we also pushed the stroller in the house with her if that worked. i remember some nights holding her and having to waltz dance in the dark. counting steps also helped keep my mind occupied. i remember getting to like 400 once before thinking really 400?! this too shall pass. get ready for it, psych yourself out and you can do it.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

The night time fussiness was the reason that I joined this forum.. I had no idea how common it was. It really will pass though, momma. At the time it seems maddening and like you'll never make it through it but my son is almost 10 months and it has been months and months since we dealt with the night time fussiness. Most nights he is out like a light at 8pm Baby wearing really did help us too.. I could even get something done around the house sometimes!
    Proud mom of two boys!

DS1- born 1/10/03
    and
    DS2- born 3/8/11