Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5week old bf all the time..griping pains

Default 5week old bf all the time..griping pains

Hi, my baby is 5 weeks old now and just as I was getting used to her bf evry 4 hours, for the last 2 days she's been feeding every 1.5 hours and wiggling and kicking, I though she had griping pain but when I put her on the breast she feeds for like 5-10 mins then falls asleep only to wake up after 30 mins screaming again. If she has griping pain will it get worse if I feed her more? also when she's in pain she suckles really hard and my nipples get sore. What's the best thing for colic? is it ok to feed her more? I tried to give her a pacifier but I'm worried she might get nipple confusion and she does not seem to like it very much.
    Also, are there any food I should avoid? I live in an area where porcini mushrooms grow and I noticed that when I eat them, cooked, she gets more colic, is it true or just my imagination?
    Last edited by @llli*caterina72; January 4th, 2012 at 12:11 PM.

Default Re: 5week old bf all the time..griping p

The thing about babies is that just when you feel like you're in a nice comfortable routine, they change on you. Nursing every 4 hours is very unusual for a young breastfed baby. In fact, until around 6 weeks you want to make sure the baby is nursing every 2-3 hours in order to ensure that the baby gets enough to eat and that you develop a good milk supply. Many babies increase their feeding frequency around 5-7 weeks because there's a big growth spurt at around that time. Nursing every 1-2 hours is totally normal, and will not increase your baby's chances of being colicky. In fact, nursing on demand helps prevent bouts of unhappy crying, because nothing soothes a cranky baby like the breast.

As to the question about foods, if you see a connection between your diet and your baby's behavior you may well have picked up on something that really does bug your baby. But sometimes a mom imagines a connection. This link talks about diet and breastfeeding: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for your reply, sorry to insist but you think that if my baby has colic I should feed her more?if it is my breastmilk that gives her colic is that not going to make it worse?

Colic is NOT from breastmilk. Nobody knows what colic is really from, but it is not your milk. It is thought to be just a particular baby's way of dealing with being overwhelmed by the world...so breastfeeding more is better, as you help calm baby down.

What PP is talking about is the frequency at which you were saying baby nurses. Totally normal considering age. Most babies pick up with nursing around 5-6 weeks for a growth spurt, then return to their previous normal. Others start by nursing every hour and do that for months. Others start every 2-3 hours then go to every hour and do that for months.

If it is something you are eating, you just stop eating that
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My guy seemed to growth sprut off and on between 4 to 6 weeks.

Maybe since baby has only been nursing every four hours since the begining then you don't have a lot of milk supply and now that baby is getting bigger they want to pump up the supply. My guy cluster fed on his third day of life for what seemed like a week then he went 2 hours, then 3 hours and now sometimes 4 or 5 at night (on a very good night, which is rare). On his hungry and growth spurt days he tries to get my milk going more so he goes on every 1 to 2 hours those days.

I agree with PP as soon as you got it down, they debunk your theory.

I also think we all spend way too much time worrying about what we eat that effects baby. I played around with my diet for both babies and it didn't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*caterina72 View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply, sorry to insist but you think that if my baby has colic I should feed her more?if it is my breastmilk that gives her colic is that not going to make it worse?
    As aprilsmagic said, breastmilk doesn't cause colic. Frequent feedings don't cause colic. No-one actually knows what does cause it, but they know what doesn't.

Feeding your baby on demand will make her happier and you happier.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*caterina72 View Post
    Also, are there any food I should avoid? I live in an area where porcini mushrooms grow and I noticed that when I eat them, cooked, she gets more colic, is it true or just my imagination?
    My baby reacts to what I eat. She was very colicky in the first 8-10 weeks of life. Right around that time is when I cut off offending foods (for us: dairy, soy, nuts, gluten). Since she was about a week old she had colic and we had to hold her for hours & hours & hours in the "airplane hold" or else she would cry. On top of that, she was ultra-gassy and had painful, explosive poops. She would wince in pain and then a noisy fart with a tiny bit of watery poop would come out. To me it looked like she was having cramps every time one of those came out (and there were several in succession). I remember she would cry for an hour straight or longer on the changing table, as the poops came out... I know there are different opinions on this, and I was skeptical at first, but once I changed my diet the colic disappeared COMPLETELY. This was at 2 months. Never had to do the airplane hold again.

On the mushrooms: when I would eat a whole grilled portobello, she would be very gassy and fussy. She also got gassy if I ate onions and popcorn. Now that she's bigger I can eat these things in moderation.

By the way... how nice that you live near porcini mushrooms! Yum!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

thank you for your advice, you really gave me great encouragement and god knows how much I need it! I find that not getting enough sleep at night makes me very emotional and I tend to dramatise things a bit when in fact everything is quite normal, baby is growing like mad, she's all chunky and rosey and is blossoming like a beautiful rose and I should not really worry about anything!thanks again!!but I have a feeling I'll be back on this forum with more!

thank you for your advice, you really gave me great encouragement and god knows how much I need it! I find that not getting enough sleep at night makes me very emotional and I tend to dramatise things a bit when in fact everything is quite normal, baby is growing like mad, she's all chunky and rosey and is blossoming like a beautiful rose and I should not really worry about anything!thanks again!!but I have a feeling I'll be back on this forum with more!
    I love your description of your dear baby! I can just see her!

Keep getting support, here and irl if you can. If you do not have lots of people in your life who have breastfed you may want to find some. If you have a local La Leche League Group or any type of breastfeeding supportive mommy playgroup you can attend, check that out. If you like to read, the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition, 2010) is a wonderful breastfeeding manual, based on research and science, that will give you great info and probably help with any concerns.

Both you and your baby definitely sound normal. You are taking care of the best baby in the world, a big responsibility, so perfectly normal to be concerned and emotional! Try to relax, trust your instincts, get the facts when you have questions, find comfortable positions for you to nurse, and enjoy your beautiful blossoming rose of a baby!

thanks! unfortunately the closest La leche group is about 4 hours drive from where I live (remote village on the hills of Parma, Italy) and when I tried to get support on the phone, when my second baby went on nursing strike, it did not really work for me. I find this forum and this international website a lot more useful, it just makes more sense and gives me more encouragement and support. Thanks again!