Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any way to minimize leaking?

Default Is there any way to minimize leaking?

Hey guys!

I'm a new mama of a baby boy, who's 10 days old today. I'm fortunate enough to be producing WAY too much milk, about four times what he drinks! I'm okay with this while I'm taking a semester off and can manage pumping often, but I was wondering if there is any way to help leaking, for the times I'm at work or out of the house. Even when I pump often, they fill so quickly that I'm leaking after about 30 minutes. I go through several shirts/bras/breast pads/towels a day.

If there's nothing I can do to help that, is there any way to ease into minimizing my supply to match his needs? I know that when I pump I'm telling my body to keep creating milk, but when I try to only pump enough to be comfortable, I'm spewing milk everywhere constantly and I'm still in pain (pumping an ounce or two out between feedings lasts about 30 minutes of comfort). How long does it take my supply to adjust anyway?

I'm just clueless about how to manage all this! I'd like to have plenty in storage or to donate the extra, but I need to be able to go out in public.

Thanks!

Default Re: Is there any way to minimize leaking

This may be useful to you. The area about block nursing in particular: http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Congrats on your new baby!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Well one thing I'd do is STOP pumping! That sends the signal to your breasts to produce more! As far as leaking, well I leaked till 9 months. And at almost a year I still leak occasionally....
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Hey,
    Thanks for the article. I'm confused to why I'd only nurse him from one side to adjust my milk supply. They say to express/cold compress the other side...am I completely ignoring one breast for several weeks? This seems like it'd be painful for the neglected side.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rolltidemama View Post
    Hey,
    Thanks for the article. I'm confused to why I'd only nurse him from one side to adjust my milk supply. They say to express/cold compress the other side...am I completely ignoring one breast for several weeks? This seems like it'd be painful for the neglected side.
    You just nurse on one side per feeding. So at one feeding you nurse on one side. Then the next time you nurse you just do the other side. You DO NOT ignore a breast for a long period of time. That would be painful and dangerous.

Basically it's like this: The more milk you remove (pumping, nursing, hand expressing) the more milk your body will make. So imagine that you are filling a glass with water, but on the bottom of the glass your friend has a hole to drink the water. Your job is to keep the glass filled with water. The faster your friend drinks the more you have to pour to keep the glass full. Your breasts work the same way. Does that make sense? So, basically you are telling your body by not pumping and not removing as much milk that it doesn't need to make as much as it's currently making. So your supply will naturally slow down and adjust to better meet your baby's needs.

The other way people deal with this is called block feeding - the article talks about this. There are several mamas here that have dealt with it. I saw you needed help, and wanted to offer you the link. I don't have direct experience with block nursing. You may want to try posting a different thread in Too Much Milk or reading the posts there. http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay....-Too-Much-Milk!

If it hurts way too much to not pump, maybe just hand express or pump just to take the edge off - but don't pump so much. Does that make more sense?

From Kellymom:
    If nursing one side per feeding is not working after a week or so, try keeping baby to one side for a certain period of time before switching sides. This is called block nursing.

Start with 2-3 hours and increase in half-hour increments if needed.
    Do not restrict nursing at all, but any time that baby needs to nurse simply keep putting baby back to the same side during that time period.
    If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
    In more extreme cases, mom may need to experiment a bit with time periods over 4 hours to find the amount of time per breast that works best.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Okay that makes more sense. I'll give it a shot! I feel better just having a gameplan in mind.

Dont pump, for starters and block feeding is very useful.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm confused. Are you pumping AND breastfeeding, or only pumping and feeding bb expressed breastmilk? IS bb gettin all his feeds at the breast or some from a bottle? If bb is nursing well and you have so much milk, why are you pumping at all?

Also, leaking is not a sign of oversupply, just as not leaking is not a sign of undersupply. Some moms leak, and some moms don't. Thats just kind of the way it is. Despite the mess, I think its the lucky moms who leak because it helps us avoid engorgement which leads to much worse issues than milk mess. It may go away once your milk supply "regulates" in the next month or so, but it may not. I was a big leaker and here is what I suggest-Find a reliable nursing pad brand, layer them if necc, ( I put the obvious, bulky washable pad under a nice, thin disposable to give me a more streamline look and as extra absorbancy) always carry some extra pads, sleep on a layer of towels for nightime leaks, carry an extra shirt with you and/or wear patterns that won't show wetness.

For your large supply issue, If you are nursing and pumping, I would suggest not pumping, let/encourage bb to nurse very frequently, (at least 12 times in 24 hours-at LEAST!) and then allow bb to "finish the first breast first" even if it means he only takes one side per feeding. If you start feeling very full after a feeding and bb does not want any more, you can try gently hand expressing just enough to relieve the pressure of the over full feeling. Since you are a leaker this should be pretty easy. Aviod pumping unless you are in danger of getting engorged and then only pump to comfort.

I would not suggest true block feeding yet (having bb nurse on one side through two or more feeds.) This will reduce your supply, yes, but it is very early to say this is true oversupply. A mom will see her milk volume capacity peak sometime between 1-4 weeks. Then it usually levels out on its own, as long as mom is not pumping unnecesarily and letting bb cue feed (feed frequently as bb wishes, not sceduling) You have been pumping which likely convinced your body you have twins-or quads! Your supply may regulate nicely for one bb on its own if you stop doing that. You can always block feed later if you continue to have oversupply in the next few weeks.

Oh and I forgot some moms find they can stop a letdown/leak by pressing gently but firmly in on the nipples, it can be done subtly with arms crossed, for example. But you would have to be a mom who fels her letdowns coming, not all moms do.

I had started pumping at the lactation nurse's suggestion. I immediately had enough milk for multiples, so she said to pump after he fed, so he has been on breast in addition to my pumping (dad gives breast milk bottle at night for his own bonding time). I believe the nurse was so enthusiastic about my milk supply she didn't register that realistically, that doesn't work for me working and going to school. So by the time someone told me not to pump, I'd probably already made the problem worse. I stopped pumping after feedings several days ago and started only pumping when things got really bad. Last night I began the one side per feeding suggestion, which seems to have helped quite a bit today. I'm still very full, but he brings the given side down enough that I can handle it. So today I haven't pumped at all

As for the leaking, I am doubling up on pads and towels, and it's just become a game of catching it before it reaches my shirt :P My friend said that self-expression doesn't tell my breasts to make more milk-is this true? That was her suggestion to help the leaking. Cold compresses helped last night, too.

So after I get this all under control, I'd like to be able to stock up for while I'm at work. At what point can I allow myself to pump a little extra, and how do I do this in a manageable way? I go back to work in about a month, and my shifts will require about two feedings two to three days a week. I have a decent stock right now thanks to my early pumping, but I need to make sure to keep a steady enough supply for when the time comes.

Thank you for the help everyone! Our lactation nurse is $20 per appointment, and obviously the first advice I got wasn't the best for me. I'm so thankful to have a breastfeeding resource!