Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hives from milk or external factor?

Default Hives from milk or external factor?

DS started breaking out in hives on Sunday afternoon. They appeared right after I nursed him and went away shortly afterward. I immediately called my sister (a nurse) and she thought it might be an allergic reaction to amoxicillin, which he had just finished up the day before.

The hives are still appearing each time I nurse him though, so I don't really think it's the amoxicillin. He is completely fine before I nurse him, then the hives appear in various places all over his body and face immediately afterward - like as soon as I sit him up. If this is an allergy to something I'm eating, would it appear that quickly? Or could it be my soap or lotion that is causing the hives? I'm not using anything new - everything is all the same.

I quit eating dairy about 5 days ago, because DS has been extremely congested despite the round of amoxicillin (for an ear infection), so if it is an allergy, it's probably not that. Any ideas?
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Default Re: Hives from milk or external factor?

That sounds odd. I think I would lean more toward something on your skin or clothes, since they show up so quickly. How fast do they disappear after they show up? Did you change detergent or fabric softener? Get a new bra? Anything like that? Are they actual hives or red splotches? Could it be that he's getting hot and breaking out in little sweat rashes?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Very odd. I'm thinking it must have been my soap (though it was the same kind I've been using since he was born). I tried a different kind today and he hasn't had any hives at all.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Cool, what a relief!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous