Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping while still at home, need advice

Talking Pumping while still at home, need advice

I have to go back to school on the 11th, and I need advice on how I can stock up a decent supply of milk before doing so. I am going to feed my Son on my lunch break between classes, but since I have never really left him I have no idea how much milk he is going to consume while I am away from him. I just received a loaner pump from the WIC program and the best advice the lady had was "Just add one pumping session in per day." Well, I'm only getting about 4 oz. from that. My son is over 20 pounds and nearing his 4 month mark, and I think he is going through a growth spurt at the moment. I feel like I have no opportunity to pump because he is nursing SO OFTEN. Any advice is welcome! Thank you!

Default Re: Pumping while still at home, need ad

4oz is awesome. General rule of thumb is that a breastfed baby consumes 1-1.5oz. "Average" output for a mama away from her baby is 3-5 oz (total while double electric pumping). Since you will be pumping while you are gone you need only one days supply stockpiled before you go back to school and you can just use what you pump the next day. It is certainly better to have a little stash but you will be fine.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I'm worried because I don't expect to be pumping while I'm away from him at school. I have class for 2 hours then I'm going to straight to the daycare to feed him, and then I will have another 2 hour class and I plan on going straight back to pick him up so I can nurse him there. I might just have to try and pump on our 15 minute breaks in class though. Thank you so much. This is the first time I've had to leave one of my babies while nursing. My oldest I breastfed for 15 months and she never took a bottle so I'm learning!

It doesn't sound like you would need to leave much, if any, in that case. Just a few ounces to tide him over if you are delayed. So pump one side while nursing the other, save that milk and leave it just n case your sitter needs it while you are in class.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I feel like I have no opportunity to pump because he is nursing SO OFTEN.
    This is good, believe it or not! BB being a good nurser will keep your supply nice and plentiful during this potentially stressful transition.

Your scedule sounds like you will not need to pump when away to keep up supply, you just want to set some aside for the caregiver?

BB may not even want a bottle from the caregiver, if he is going to only be separated from you for two to three hours at a time. Caregiver may want to give bottle everytime he cries, but I seriously doubt its neccesary with that kind of scedule. Assure caregiver its OK to hold him off with other comfort measures until you come if its close to the time.

Do as previous poster described (pumping while nursing) or if you cannot juggle that, pump once or at most twice a day until you have to go to school. That should give you plenty for the first week and to see how things are going. Then you can pump on the weekend for the following week. Don't worry about pumping and bb wanting to nurse right after. Lactating breasts are always making milk. He may have to work for it a bit harder at that session thats all. Moms tend to have the most milk in early am.

here is a milk calculator, again I hardly think you need it bby may not want bottle at all: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

and these are very good info for caregiver: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...fyour_milk.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    It doesn't sound like you would need to leave much, if any, in that case. Just a few ounces to tide him over if you are delayed. So pump one side while nursing the other, save that milk and leave it just n case your sitter needs it while you are in class.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.