Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit a wall.

Default Re: Hit a wall.

Thanks everybody. Your words and encouragement mean so much to me, I want you all to know that.

I did get to see a LC last weekend and she easily and quickly diagnosed (drumroll please) a upper lip tie as well as a posterior tongue tie. We have an appointment to get it snipped on Friday. Will see how it goes!!

Have been nursing when I can, pumping when I can't; my freezer stash is almost gone but I am clinging to this by my fingernails. I'm a stubborn broad.

Good to know about the Earth's Best, ADB. Will look into that.

Glad you found that out!! It blows my mind how many tongue ties go undiagnosed- I just think of all the moms out there who may have quit nursing because of unexplained pain, and I bet A LOT of those babies were tongue-tied.
    I, for sure, will be getting the next baby checked in the hospital, whenever that time comes.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Wow, pleaselet us know how it goes on Friday and afterwards! I really hope that getting the tongue tie released is the solution to your issues.

You're awesome, mama! Don't get down if you have to use some formula. Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Update! We've been clipped! Bubs was such a trooper and he was right back into daddy's arms and onto my breast right afterwards. I think I was more traumatized than he was. Here's hoping that things start looking up for us. I'm still a little sore but he's also been comfort nursing quite a bit today, so it could take some time to get used to it. I hope in time we can rebuild our nursing partnership.

Thanks again, everybody. I'll keep you posted.

Yay! Don't get discouraged if you don't notice change right away- it took a few weeks before I really felt better after we had my son's clipped. They have to figure out how to use that new tongue of theirs!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Definitely keep us posted! Glad it went well.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Very cool!!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well, everything was looking up and then I woke up this morning with the old familiar red streaks and that deep, bruised feeling and the intense nipple pain that made me scream and want to tear him off of me. I can't stop crying. I think this is the end for us. I feel completely hopeless.

I'm so sorry, mama! When you're dealing with really tough problems, it's often 2 steps forward followed by 1 step back. Did you check your nipple for a bleb or blister? I'm thinking you have one of those, plus mastitis backed up behind it. I know you must feel so awful and ready to be done- but don't quit right now. You need to clear out whatever is in your breast first, and that means nursing or pumping. Once you've beaten the mastitis back, then you can make the decision.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No visible bleb or blister; Doc thinks it may be MRSA related. Urgh! You're right, I shouldn't make a decision until I have a plan in place. I used to say I BF because it is cheap but now I think I'll have spent more money on LC visits and pediatrician visits, and urgent care, and the ER, and antibiotics than I ever would've on formula. That's sort of depressing. But honestly I BF because I am lazy.