Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vomiting

Default Vomiting

Took DS to the drs today. His ears are infected and he was prescribed Amox. Problem is, he's very congested and he keeps coughing and vomiting everything up. I just gave him Tylenol and within 30 secs he threw up. Would you give it again? How would you deal with all this puke? Anything I can do? I haven't nursed him a whole lot today...maybe 4x andI know it's important.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Vomiting

If he's not keeping down the medicine, especially the antibiotics, I would call the doctor back and let them know that.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I would not give it again. I would wait two hours and give Motrin. And just try to nurse. Clear his nose out first. My son would always puke from phlegm too. So annoying because it always seemed to be right after nursing. You just want to keep him hydrated. Don't stress nutrition or full.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I think the antibiotics were the only thing he's kept down today That was the first dose , this morning.
    He is still too young for motrin
    I will try suctioning his nose to see if that helps - Thanks!
    Proud mom of 2:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    I think the antibiotics were the only thing he's kept down today That was the first dose , this morning.
    He is still too young for motrin
    I will try suctioning his nose to see if that helps - Thanks!
    I called the doctor in a panic after my son threw up immediately upon being given medication. He assured me it absorbs faster than that and to not worry.

Steam in the bathroom, saline up the nose, keep his head elevated - tilt the mattress if you can. It stinks when they are sick so little.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Call your doctor and see if he/she thinks an rx for Zofran is appropriate. It is an anti-vomiting medication that works wonders. It's expensive, so just ask for an rx for 5 or 6 doses. Does baby have a fever? If not, is there a specific reason you are giving Tylenol? Also, is baby puking up breastmilk? If so, ask your doc if he/she thinks pedialyte and pumping is appropriate for now.
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

Fever-all makes Tylenol suppositories.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*greatestjoy View Post
    If so, ask your doc if he/she thinks pedialyte and pumping is appropriate for now.
    Pedialyte is superior to formula under these circumstances, but is not necessary for breastfed babies.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne....html#vomiting

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Honestly a few good mucous puked will do him good. Mine will do that on occasion too. Would not worry about it too much, it is just from the phlegm dripping down is throat. Best thing is a steamy shower. Better than suctioning out! Hang out in there for about 15 minutes and the icky stuff starts to drip down. Try that a few times next 2 days!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks ladies. He is doing much better now. Although I am still having a hard time getting him to swallow the ABX, the fact that he's doing bette makes me feel like he IS absorbing some. For the first 1-2 days he was vomitting a lot. Now, not so much. He gags on the abx though and spits most of it out.

I was giving Tylenol for his ears because they seemed to be bothering him. His fever was very low not one that I would treat unless he was cranky.
    Proud mom of 2: