Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Weaning Cold Turkey?

Default Re: Weaning Cold Turkey?

Yes. She was a bit fussy with her oatmeal this morning but she will still eat her puffs and even drink from her cup with the straw. She also keeps asking for her cup with mommas milk (I usually give her breast milk in a cup with her meal and water in her straw cup when we go out) I am giving her some pierogies now and she is eating them. The doctor told me to freeze a banana and give it to her and ice pops...but I would rather make the breastmilk ice cubes again and put them in the mesh holders I have. I just want to help her...I feel so bad

I'm so sorry. I hope she doesn't strike long. Have you tried nursing her when she's sleeping?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes. She was a bit fussy with her oatmeal this morning but she will still eat her puffs and even drink from her cup with the straw. She also keeps asking for her cup with mommas milk (I usually give her breast milk in a cup with her meal and water in her straw cup when we go out) I am giving her some pierogies now and she is eating them. The doctor told me to freeze a banana and give it to her and ice pops...but I would rather make the breastmilk ice cubes again and put them in the mesh holders I have. I just want to help her...I feel so bad

Oh, your poor baby! I bet she will come back to the breast, though. Joe went through this with an ear infection, and he resumed nursing when he felt better, like nothing had happened. Hoping for the same for you.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I keep trying. I just tried again because I was putting her down for a nap and I can get her to put her face near my breast now which was better than yesterday when she screamed but she does not even try to latch on. I think it would be easier if she tried and pulled off instead of not even trying. So, I am pumping again. I just left a message for my lactation consultant.

a few drops of breastmilk into the inflamed ear, perhaps?

"The simple solution is to put a few drops of breast milk in the ear canal every few hours. This usually works to clear up the infection within 24-48 hours and is far safer, less expensive and a better solution than putting the child on antibiotics"
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-part-one.aspx
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Still no luck nursing Lucy. She screamed for about 3 hours last night until she fell asleep. She keeps pulling on my shirt so I offer the breast but then she screams and pushes away. I am still discouraged that she is showing no interest in nursing...just an occasional snuggle with the breast. Going to try the breastmilk in her ear today with fresh milk as soon as I am done pumping. I tried self-expressing some milk today while she was close by but I have never done it before and had no luck. I tried to put some milk on my nipple too to try to encourage her but as soon as she pushed away I covered up. I am afraid of making things worse by pushing the breast on her when that is not what I am trying to do. Trying to find a balance.
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

I'm sorry. Did you look at those kellymom pages for some more ideas?

what I meant about nursing her when she's asleep is lay down with her and after she's asleep try to nurse her. Or if she stirs, try to nurse her.

Tracie

Mommy to

Tracie,

I did look at the link...thanks again. I just tried laying down with my daughter since it is her nap time but since she is not used to laying on our bed...she thought it was time to play. I can't even get Lucy to lay sideways as she would with her boppy when she did nurse. I have tried other positions but they don't seem to work either.

I tried the breastmilk in her ear today so I am hoping that helps her. In addition, I did give her Ibuprofen today to try to help with the tooth pain.

I am starting to lose hope. Since I am not skilled in self expression I dripped some milk I pumped on my nipple hoping she would be interested in trying it but she wasn't. I am just getting so sad now. It may sound ridiculous but I miss nursing her so much that all I do is cry now. Gradual weaning at any age I think I could have handled but stopping all of a sudden is making me very depressed. It may sound ridiculous but I feel so rejected...my once happy baby who couldn't wait to nurse won't even lay next to me. So, I am trying to work on the step on that website about getting the baby comfortable to be held in any position before I try the nursing position again.

Has any other mom's who have had their babies strike have the baby totally refuse the breast and refuse to even be held close? I am seriously heartbroken
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

maybe search for nursing strike? Or start a new post with the words nursing strike in the title?

Other moms have gone through this. I would be devastated. Your feelings make sense to me.
    Tracie

Mommy to