Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Weaning Cold Turkey?

Default Re: Weaning Cold Turkey?

hope you figure it out soon!
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

My son has been pushing me away too. We took him to the doctor today and he has a double ear infection. Can you try to nurse your LO in different positions? I have found that DS will nurse sitting up, because I guess that doesn't hurt his ears as much as laying down.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

I bet it is an ear infection. The only time either of my girls refused to nurse was an ear infection. I hope she feels better soon.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I called the doctor's office and the nurse I spoke with kept telling me it is probably behavioral and tried to tell me I didn't need to come in. I told them that if it is behavioral, so be it...however, I want a doctor to see my daughter and rule out anything medical first. They reluctantly put me in at 1:30pm today. I went to feed Lucy again this morning and it was the same thing. She grabbed at the breast but would not even try to latch on and then screamed and threw a fit. I am pumping but so sad...hoping that our breastfeeding experience doesn't just end like this. I was ok with Lucy weaning herself on her terms but I thought it would be gradual...we were still nursing 3-4 times a day and I normally pump 3-4 times a day too. I had a problem at the beginning that caused me to have a lower milk supply so when I got it back up I have always pumped as much as I can and stocked my freezer. I probably have about 6 months of milk in the deep freezer that we rotate from, thankfully. I miss my happy nursing baby that couldn't wait to nurse each day. Maybe I am being selfish because she is 16 months old but I am so sad

Tracie

Mommy to

I did not see that Tracie...thank you so much for caring enough to post it! It is hard but I feel like people around me think it is ridiculous that I am upset by all of this. I get the comments..."Didn't you feed her long enough?", "Shouldn't she be weaning now anyway?" and it is so hurtful. Am I being selfish to let this bother me so much? Part of me feels like Lucy and I went through just about every obstacle to make breastfeeding work and we beat everything and made it work. That is also part of the reason why I still pump so much...it took me so long to get my supply up that when I did I was so thankful for it that I wanted to make as much as I could so that I could try to provide breast milk to her until age 2. So, to end like this is so sad to me. I will keep trying though...hopefully the doctor will be able to tell me something today...her doctor is actually on maternity leave

probably ears...has she been congested lately?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*azrael499 View Post
    I did not see that Tracie...thank you so much for caring enough to post it! It is hard but I feel like people around me think it is ridiculous that I am upset by all of this. I get the comments..."Didn't you feed her long enough?", "Shouldn't she be weaning now anyway?" and it is so hurtful. Am I being selfish to let this bother me so much? Part of me feels like Lucy and I went through just about every obstacle to make breastfeeding work and we beat everything and made it work. That is also part of the reason why I still pump so much...it took me so long to get my supply up that when I did I was so thankful for it that I wanted to make as much as I could so that I could try to provide breast milk to her until age 2. So, to end like this is so sad to me. I will keep trying though...hopefully the doctor will be able to tell me something today...her doctor is actually on maternity leave
    Mama, we feel your pain. I would have been heartbroken if my baby quit nursing cold-turkey. In all honestly, I was pretty sad when he gradually tapered off, starting around 2. I had dreamed of nursing him until he was three. (He may yet, he does nurse about once a day still.) So we're all with you - we hope this is just a temporary strike, not weaning. Ignore your friends - I've heard that stuff too, and people just don't get it. That's why these forums are great. Here I can come to cry about my two year old weaning himself, and get hugs and understanding, rather than eye rolling.

Bet it's just an illness, mama! Keep us posted!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Well, we were at the doctor's office until a few minutes ago because there was a quite sick baby there that they were giving respiratory treatments to before calling an ambulance.

The doctor said that Lucy has 4 molars coming in at the same time...one in each corner of her mouth. She said that her gums are very inflamed with each molar peeking a bit through her gum and one molar almost through. With that she said that her one ear is red and she can see fluid building up. She said that it could turn into a full ear infection or it may subside. She told me to give Lucy Ibuprofen around the clock and prescribed an antibiotic. I told her that I didn't want to give her an antibiotic unless absolutely necessary and she said I could hold off and see if the Ibuprofen helps. And she did say that she is surprised Lucy is eating or drinking anything.

Now I guess I am going to call my lactation department again to try to brainstorm on what I should do. I read that link posted and I am going to follow some of those tips with the kangaroo style carrying and other tips and I have a double Medela (my best friend) and I plan on continuing to pump as much as possible for now. I actually pumped over 8oz this morning and I think 6oz last night.

I am also looking into the teething necklaces. I love amber and have multiple pieces of amber jewelry but never heard of Baltic amber or its healing properties. I am very nervous about having Lucy wear a necklace but would love to hear any experiences of other moms with the amber. Also, if she is going through the molars now...should I still look into getting the amber.

Thank you all so much for your support! You guys are the Best!

Wow. Your little girl has a lot going on at once!! Is she eating or drinking anything at all?
    Tracie

Mommy to