Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weaning Cold Turkey?

Default Weaning Cold Turkey?

Has anyone heard of their kiddo weaning cold turkey? I just went to feed my daughter as usual before her nap and she pushed me away. The only thing I did differently was I looked in her mouth at her teeth before feeding her because I had just washed my hands and wanted to see if she had another molar coming in because she will not let me brush her back top teeth.

My daughter is 16 months old so I expected that she would start weaning herself when she was ready but I did not expect her to push me away. I am heartbroken and not quite sure what to do. My hubby said that maybe her teeth are bothering her and to give her some Tylenol. Maybe I am overreacting but this never happened before. She nursed fine this morning.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Weaning Cold Turkey?

What makes you think she has weaned? Have you tried nursing again? It was just one session mama.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

sometimes they just dont want to nurse. Teething may be the issue or just not in the mood. Try not to worry about 1x.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Sorry guys...it was just really weird for me...she has never done this before and I have no clue how weaning would start. I will keep trying:/

keep at it!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My toddler has pushed me away many times when I have offered to nurse. But, he has also nursed many times. Weaning is usually a pretty gradual process. At 16 months, your daughter is starting to have more of a will of her own, and may not always "go with the flow" when it comes to nursing, but then at some moment when it's really inconvenient for you, she'll want to nurse.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

It's probably not weaning. My 11 month old just learned the word "no" complete with a cute little head shake. He uses it often, including if I offer to nurse while he is busy playing. Or if he just doesn't want the other side
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Well, her night feeding is the second feeding she has refused. She will point at my breasts through my shirt and scream while pulling on my shirt. However, when I offer her my breast she just puts her lips near the nipple and then puts her head down on the breast, or holds it. She literally threw a fit until I would let her fall asleep like that with her cheek next to my nipple while her hand held my breast. I took her temperature and it was 97.6 with a digital thermometer under her arm so I believe that would actually be 99.6 after adding 2 points to the reading. I also gave her Ibuprofen tonight to see if that helps with the molar coming in...she chewed on her hand the whole night where that tooth is breaking through. All I could do was cry when she screamed and I could not console her. Her whole life I have always been able to offer her the breast to get her to calm down Anyone else experience this? Does it sound like a nursing strike or something else...teeth, ears perhaps? I am going to call the doctor in the morning...

The only nursing strike Joe ever pulled was when he had an ear infection and he had a low grade fever. If she continues to refuse to nurse, I'd take her to the doctor tomorrow. Another common cause is a sore throat or severe congestion. Whatever this is, it doesn't sound like your daughter WANTS to wean - that looks very different - it sounds like she CAN'T nurse because she's in discomfort.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

That's what I am thinking too...it is breaking my heart! I started to cry thinking this is it for breastfeeding (when I thought she was weening). But, seeing how upset she was tonight...I just want to comfort her. I am praying she doesn't wake in the middle of the night because I have nothing to soothe her. I am also hopping in the shower again...I keep thinking..maybe I used a different soap or perfume or something silly like that is bothering her. While it is not really practical..I am trying to think of everything I have a good Medela double pump so I am just pumping as much as I can to keep my supply up until we hopefully figure this out.