Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids and severe constipation

Default solids and severe constipation

I started my son on "solids" when he was 5 months. I was waiting till around 6 but I noticed him staring at my food and trying to grab it off my plate so I figured I would let him play with some mashed sweet potatoes. Everything was going great until I noticed him getting frustrated at which point I began making him soups or feeding him organic earth's best baby food. He seemed to especially love the pear and prune flavor and the soup (organic potato, organic yam, a chicken leg pureed with the water they were boiled in). BUUUUT twice already he has become ridiculously constipated to the point where i needed to use a glycerin suppository and extreme bicycle legs :-( Is he just not ready? am i giving him the wrong foods? He still nursed very frequently...and we also supplemented with some baby distilled water after the first bout to try and make it easier. He wants food so badly-what do i do?! I was getting excited to have him eating solids too because he refuses the bottle when im not around and i thought it would be a good way to hold him over till i get back home... :-( any tips or advice on the solids front? any tips on getting him to take a bottle?!

Default Re: solids and severe constipation

We did not start solids until six months exactly, but went through the EXACT same thing! He did not poop at all for ten days, then not again for another 10!! I finally quit solids for a week, breastfed like crazy, and once he had a big poo, I started him off more slowly with pear, avocado, and things that were easier to handle. I think it just took him a few weeks to adjust, because now he seems fine, sometimes a little poo every day. You could either back off on the solids for a few days and go back to breast milk, or try foods that start with 'P', pears, prunes, plum, etc. It did get better for us, but took almost a month!!

As for the bottle refusal, have you tried anything else, like a sippy cup, or syringe, or even a regular cup? My little guy can drink from all- maybe not so successfully, but he gets some!

agree with pp. Back off the solids just for a bit, and then take it much more slowly. Babies get grabby & want to imitate you at this age, and this is often mistaken for solids readiness. Or it could just be a case of his tongue says yes yes but his bottom says no no! You could try letting him play with a spoon & cup at meal times. Having fun with sippy cup may keep him happy while you eat AND teach him to drink from a sippy.

breastmilk is the best way to keep things moving, I would not worry about giving water yet, if you want to give him water with 'meals' make sure its a small amount.

here is an article about starting solids. http://www.llli.org/faq/solids.html

Sweet potatoes, yams, and potatoes can be very constipating. I stopped giving sweet potatoes to my LO for this reason. Not sure if you're giving cereal, but it's also very binding.

I managed to get my baby's digestion more regular by giving her a daily dose of prune puree (maybe 1 oz a day). I had to find the right dose--too much and she was too gassy and had loose stools, too little and there was no benefit.

Their digestive systems are maturing and changing. What is a problem one day might be OK a few weeks later (and vice-versa).

By the way, I also make a similar meal for my baby--a boneless chicken thigh, spinach, broccoli, and squash (it works well instead of yams). It's yummy!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Use lots of P foods -- pears, prunes, peaches. Those will help keep him going.

Sometimes a probiotic helps, sometimes not. My third child would get very constipated as a toddler, and part of the problem was a probiotic.

And I will use a dab of juice to really unstick them if necessary, or a warm bath.

But it means to back off a bit
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yikes...Well after the first bout of severe constipation I backed off and only breastfed. When we tried again i started off slow with prune and pear but then added the pureed soup again and boom he was severely constipated again! I will definitely try the sippy cup (since he looooves cups anyway!) with breast milk and just back off the solids for another week or two. A part of me really doesnt want to start weaning but the other part wants a bit of freedom...I just get so anxious leaving him when I know how much he misses nursing and refuses the bottle.